Ana Lily Amirpour to direct 'Cliffhanger' remake - Silver Screen Beat
Connect with us

Movie News

Ana Lily Amirpour is set to direct a female-led remake of the 1993 action thriller ‘Cliffhanger’

Published

on

Ana Lily Amirpour Cliffhanger
GETTY IMAGES

More than 25 years after Renny Harlin’s 1993 action thriller Cliffhanger starring Sylvester Stallone premiered at the Cannes Film Festival, a remake of the film from Fast and Furious producer Neal Moritz is heading to the Cannes market, where it’s expected to be one of the hottest items for sale.

Ana Lily Amirpour is attached to direct the remake, which is currently being written by Sascha Penn, according to Deadline. Mortiz and Toby Jaffe are producing under their Original Film banner along with Thorsten Schumacher and Lars Sylvest for Rocket Science.

“We are setting out to create a thrill-ride on the mountain which taps into the primal side of an action movie, where you see what a person is capable of doing to survive in the most extreme situations, pushed to the limits,” Amirpour said in a statement.

Casting is currently underway for a female lead, while Jason Momoa is reportedly already in talks for what is being described as a “key cameo” role. Production on the film is expected to begin in the spring of next year.

“I’ve been wanting to re-make this adrenaline filled survival thriller with a strong female protagonist – both in front of and behind the camera – for some time,” Mortiz said.

He added, “I’ve always wanted to make the movies I want to see — big at their core with characters which connect to the audience while simultaneously encouraging them to leave their house and go to a theater. Cliffhanger is just that, in what we hope will be the first of an entirely new franchise.”

The 1993 original starred Stallone as a mountain rescuer who must face off against a gang of criminals who lose hundreds of millions of dollars in cash after a plane crash in the Rocky Mountains.

The film received mostly positive reviews from critics and was a massive box office success, earning more than $255 million worldwide on a $70 million production budget.

Advertisement
Comments

Movie News

With their case diminishing, prosecutors drop sexual assault charges against Kevin Spacey

Published

on

Kevin Spacey
GETTY IMAGES

With their case against Kevin Spacey diminishing, Nantucket prosecutors asked Wednesday for charges to be dropped against the actor, who had been facing a felony charge for the alleged sexual assault of the teenage son of a former Boston TV news anchor in 2016.

In a document filed in the Nantucket District Court, Cape & Islands District Attorney Michael O’Keefe said he was filing a “nolle prosequi,” which, in a criminal case, is an admission that the charges against the defendant cannot be proven. O’Keefe cited the “unavailability of the complaining witness” as his reason for the dismissal of the case.

O’Keefe’s decision to drop the charges against Spacey is not a particularly surprising one. During an evidentiary hearing last week, Spacey’s accuser refused to testify about what happened to a missing cellphone containing text messages — and possibly video — the night the alleged assault took place.

When asked if he knew that he could be charged with a felony should an investigation find that he had tampered with or destroyed evidence on the phone, Spacey’s accuser invoked the Fifth Amendment and was unwilling to continue his testimony, according to The New York Times.

The accuser’s lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, said in a statement that the accuser and his family “have shown an enormous amount of courage under difficult circumstances,” and added that he will not be commenting on the case any further at this time.

Spacey’s lawyer, Alan Jackson, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In December, just moments before the news of the felony charge against Spacey broke, the actor posted to YouTube a bizarre video in which he appears as his character Frank Underwood from the Netflix series House of Cards and says he is “certainly not going to pay the price for the thing I didn’t do.”

Continue Reading

Movie News

Jennifer Lopez and Constance Wu lead a band of grifting strippers in the ‘Hustlers’ trailer

Published

on

Hustlers
STX FILMS

STX Films has released the first trailer for Hustlers, the upcoming stripper comedy featuring an all-star cast that includes the likes of Constance Wu, Jennifer Lopez, Julia Stiles, Keke Palmer, Lili Reinhart, Mercedes Ruehl, and Cardi B.

Written and directed by Lorene Scafaria, the film follows a group of savvy former strip club employees who come together to turn the tables on their unsuspecting, money-grubbing Wall Street clients.

“These Wall Street guys — you see what they did to this country? They stole from everybody,” Lopez’s character says. “Hard-working people lost everything and not one of these douchebags go to jail. The game is rigged and it does not reward people who play by the rules. It’s like robbing a bank; except you get the keys.”

Scafaria based Hustlers on Jessica Pressler’s 2015 New York Magazine article titled “Hustlers at Scores,” which tells the real-life story of a band of New York City strippers scamming their wealthy clients out of thousands of dollars before eventually being caught by authorities.

In addition to starring in the film, Lopez also serves as a producer on Hustlers alongside Elaine Goldsmith Thomas, Jessica Elbaum, Benny Medina, Will Ferrell, and Adam McKay. The film is a co-production between STX and Annapurna.

Hustlers will open in theaters on September 13.

Continue Reading

Movie News

Taika Waititi signs on to direct ‘Thor 4’ as the live-action ‘Akira’ movie gets delayed indefinitely

Published

on

Taika Waititi Thor 4 Akira release date
ASTRID STAWIARZ/GETTY IMAGES

In a move that will force him to put the highly anticipated live-action adaptation of Akira on the backburner indefinitely, Taika Waititi has officially closed a deal to direct Thor 4 for Marvel Studios, sources tell Silver Screen Beat.

The development is a rather surprising one considering Akira — which has been in development at Warner Bros. ever since the studio acquired the rights to the popular Japanese manga in 2002 — was as close as it ever was to getting made.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, pre-production on Akira had been moving along smoothly — despite some concerns with the script that were later resolved — and Waititi had been meeting with and testing young Japanese actors for roles in the film as part of a worldwide search for talent.

But now that the project has experienced yet another major setback, execs can only hope that Waititi will pick up where he left off once he completes Thor 4, which will once again see Chris Hemsworth reprise his role as the titular God of Thunder.

Waititi is currently prepping to hop on the fall festival circuit with his World War II-era satire Jojo Rabbit, which he wrote, directed, and stars in alongside Scarlett Johansson, Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Rebel Wilson, and Sam Rockwell. Fox Searchlight will release the film on October 18.

Continue Reading