Asia Argento reportedly accused of sexual miconduct - Silver Screen Beat
Connect with us

Movie News

#MeToo activist Asia Argento reportedly paid off young actor accusing her of sexual assault

Published

on

Asia Argento
VITTORIO ZUNINO CELOTTO/GETTY IMAGES

Asia Argento, the Italian actress and director who was one of the first women to accuse Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault, which ultimately led her to become one of the most vocal figures in the #MeToo movement, is now facing sexual misconduct allegations of her own.

In a bombshell report published by The New York Times on Sunday evening, it was revealed that Argento arranged to pay $380,000 to Jimmy Bennett, a former child actor who accused the actress, who was 37 at the time, of sexually assaulting him in a California hotel room when he was only 17-years-old. The age of consent in California is 18.

Bennett’s accusations and the arrangement for the $380,000 payment are laid out in legal documents between lawyers for the two parties. The Times says it obtained the documents, as well as a 2013 photograph of Argento and Bennett lying in bed, through encrypted email via an anonymous sender.

A Los Angeles County Sherriff’s Department spokesperson told Variety on Monday that Argento is not under investigation at the moment, but authorities will be reaching out to Bennett this week to discuss the alleged sexual abuse.

“There’s no investigation at this point,” said Deputy Kimberly Alexander. “They’re going to exhaust all avenues since the information has come to light, but it’s not under investigation at this time.”

At the Cannes Film Festival in May, Argento delivered a fiery speech in which she called out predators working in the Hollywood and warned that they were not going to be allowed to get away with sexual misconduct any longer.

“Sitting among you there are those who still have to be held accountable for their conduct against women,” Argento told festival attendees. “For behavior that does not belong in this industry ― does not belong in any industry or workplace. You know who you are. But most importantly, we know who you are, and we’re not going to allow you to get away with it any longer.”

Advertisement
Comments

Movie News

Amid misconduct allegations, Jason Mitchell’s career has pretty much gone down the toilet

Published

on

Jason Mitchell
GETTY IMAGES

Jason Mitchell was once considered a rising star in the world of Hollywood after garnering plenty of attention and praise for his portrayal of the late rapper Eazy-E in 2015’s Straight Outta Compton. Unfortunately for Mitchell, though, he seems to have pretty much nuked his own career.

According to Deadline, just about every person, company, or project that was involved with Mitchell at one point or another has suddenly distanced themselves from the actor in recent weeks due to “allegations of inappropriate behavior being leveled against him.”

While Deadline says that the details about those allegations are “sketchy,” THR reports that Tiffany Boone, who played Mitchell’s girlfriend on the Showtime series The Chi, says the actor sexually harassed her on multiple different occasions, making her feel unsafe on set.

In fact, Boone began feeling so unsafe on the set of The Chi that she would often have her fiance, Dear White People actor Marque Richardson, come to set with her on days when she had to shoot scenes with Mitchell. And, get this: Boone was only one of several actresses on The Chi who had made complaints against Mitchell.

Since these allegations came to light, Mitchell has been dropped by not only his talent agent, United Talent Agency, but also his management company and his role from The Chi, as well as a role in the upcoming Netflix comedy film Desperados.

Desperados had not even begun shooting yet at the time that Mitchell was fired, but THR says that Mitchell’s co-stars on the film had already begun expressing their concerns and complaints about working with him. So, yeah, that dude must’ve been pretty damn shitty for that to be the case.

Continue Reading

Movie News

Leonardo DiCaprio torches a bunch of Nazis in the new ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ trailer

Published

on

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
SONY PICTURES

Stop whatever it is that you’re doing, scroll to the bottom of this post, and watch the new trailer for Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood right fuckin’ now. And then watch it again immediately after. And maybe one more time after that.

There’s so much to unpack here, but let me begin by saying this new Once Upon a Time in Hollywood trailer makes the movie look like an absolute blast and I am beyond jealous of all of the lucky bastards who get to see it two whole months (!) early at Cannes today. I envy every single one of them.

Between seeing Al Pacino in a movie for the first time in god knows how long, Leonardo DiCaprio’s Rick Dalton lighting up a bunch of Nazis with a flamethrower, Margot Robbie playing Sharon Tate, and Brad Pitt just being charming as hell, I am officially 100% in on this movie if I wasn’t already.

Critics are currently getting Once Upon a Time in Hollywood projected into their eyeholes at Cannes as we speak, so we should be getting the first reviews for the film within the next couple of hours, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled for those.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will hit theaters on July 26. Now go watch that new trailer again.

Continue Reading

Movie News

Mark your calendars, because ‘John Wick: Chapter 4’ now has a May 21, 2021 release date

Published

on

John Wick: Chapter 4 release date
LIONSGATE

I am pleased to inform you that Lionsgate announced via text message(?) today that John Wick: Chapter 4 has been given an official May 21, 2021 release date, so start clearing your schedules and marking your calendars accordingly, folks.

“You have served. You will be of service. John Wick: Chapter 4 is coming – May 21, 2021,” the text message reads, and it’s damn right. I have served. And I will be of service. I will literally do anything to get another John Wick movie in front of my eyeholes.

The release date is literally all we know about John Wick: Chapter 4 at this point, but it’s safe to assume that the film will likely find Keanu Reeves’ titular hitman up to his usual bad guy-fighting shenanigans, killing dudes with everyday objects like books and riding around on motorcycles and shit. Y’know, all the familiar hitman stuff.

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum, which is arguably the best installment in the series to date, hit theaters last Friday and had no trouble putting an end to Avengers: Endgame‘s weeks-long box office reign, picking up $56 million at the domestic box office and another $36 million overseas, bringing its worldwide total so far to $93 million.

I’m going into hibernation now. See you all in two years and one day.

Continue Reading