Audiences want more 'Back to the Future' movies - Silver Screen Beat
Connect with us

Movie News

Audiences want to see a new ‘Back to the Future’ movie the most, results of a new survey find

Published

on

Back to the Future
UNIVERSAL PICTURES

According to a new survey conducted by The Hollywood Reporter and Morning Consult, the film franchise that Americans want to see a new movie from the most is Robert Zemeckis’ iconic Back to the Future series, which concluded 29 years ago with Back to the Future Part III in 1990.

The survey polled 2,201 adults between November 8 and November 11, with 71% saying they want to see Michael J. Fox’s Marty McFly and Christopher Lloyd’s Doc Brown take the time-traveling Delorean out for another spin. However, Zemeckis has previously said that Back to the Future fans shouldn’t get their hopes up for another sequel.

Another franchise that polled well was Disney/Pixar’s Toy Story, which trailed close behind Back to the Future with 69% of surveyees saying they would like to see another installment in the animated franchise. Luckily for them, the long-awaited sequel Toy Story 4 is due out in theaters next summer and already has an official trailer.

Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park also performed well on the survey and came in at 68% and 67% respectively, while Shrek wasn’t too far off with 65%. Indiana Jones 5 and Jurassic World 3 are both expected to hit theaters in 2021, and a Shrek reboot was recently announced as being in development at Universal.

Among the franchises that underperformed were Star Wars and Avengers, coming in at 63% and 57% respectively, which Morning Consult vice president Tyler Sinclair says is evidence that audiences are more likely to watch a new installment in a franchise that has been dormant rather than one that is currently active.

“There’s a strong consumer demand for movie reboots and sequels, which spells good news for movie studios looking to capitalize on that nostalgic feeling,” Sinclair said.

Advertisement
Comments

Movie News

Lili Taylor and Stefania LaVie Owen to star in the coming-of-age indie drama ‘Paper Spiders’

Published

on

Paper Spiders
GETTY IMAGES

Lili Taylor and Stefania LaVie Owen have been cast as the leads in Inon Shampanier’s indie drama Paper Spiders, a bittersweet story about coming-of-age in the shadow of mental illness. The film is expected to begin production in Syracuse, New York later this month.

Written by Inon and Natalie Shampanier, Paper Spiders follows Melanie (Owen), a high school senior struggling to help her mother Dawn (Taylor), whose paranoid delusions spiral out of control.

“I am thrilled to work with these incredibly talented actresses,” Inon Shampanier said in a statement. “Lili Taylor and Stefania Owen bring great tenderness and depth to this mother-daughter story.”

Anne Clements is producing Paper Spiders for Idiot Savant Pictures along with Ash Christian for Cranium Entertainment.

Taylor, repped by APA and Untitled Entertainment, was seen most recently in last year’s The Nun, where she reprised her role from the 2013 blockbuster horror hit The Conjuring. She can be seen next in the upcoming indie The Evening Hour.

Owen is repped by McKeon/Myones Entertainment and Paradigm Talent Agency and can currently be seen onscreen starring opposite Matthew McConaughey in Harmony Korine’s stoner comedy The Beach Bum. She’ll appear next in Netflix‘s thriller The Messiah.

Inon and Natalie Shampanier, whose previous credits include 2015’s Beautiful & Twisted and 2012’s The Millionaire Tour, are repped by Chris Sablan of Avenue 220 and attorney Jacob Shapira.

Continue Reading

Movie News

John David Washington, Alicia Vikander, Vicky Krieps join ‘Born to Be Murdered’ cast

Published

on

John David Washington Born to Be Murdered
EMMA MCINTYRE/GETTY IMAGES

John David Washington, Alicia Vikander, Vicky Krieps, and Boyd Holbrook are set to lead the ensemble cast of the Luca Guadagnino-produced thriller Born to Be Murdered, which is currently shooting in Greece and is expected to be a hot item at the Cannes market next month.

The project will mark the English-language debut of Ferdinando Cito Filomarino, Guadagnino’s husband and the great-nephew of legendary Italian filmmaker Luchino Visconti, who is directing the film from a script written by Kevin Rice, according to Deadline.

Born to Be Murdered, which Cito Filomarino says will be his “take on the manhunt thriller,” follows a couple vacationing in Greece, played by Washington and Vikander, who suddenly finds themselves falling prey to a violent conspiracy with tragic consequences.

“I have worked for years in creating its specific tone and story with the tireless support of my writer Kevin Rice, and I am honored to have the extraordinary John David Washington join me to portray the restless and conflicted journey of such a special character,” Cito Filomarino said.

He added, “I am thrilled and to be working with the wonderful Alicia Vikander, the beautifully intense Vicky Krieps, the superb Boyd Holbrook. With this incredible cast and with my unique collaborators, Born to Be Murdered will be a fantastic experience that pushes genre to a new place.”

Guadagnino and Marc Morabito will produce the film under their Frenesy Films banner along with Francesco Melzi and Gabriele Moratti, who will serve as co-producers on the project for MeMo Films, which is the film’s leader financier.

“We have been working with Ferdinando for ten years, following and supporting his career since the beginning,” the producers said in a joint statement. “He is an exciting new voice in international cinema, and with Born To Be Murdered, he has the chance to be embraced in a bigger scope and in partnership with such a prestigious cast, composed of some of the best and most interesting performers in the world.”

The film is expected to be released in 2020.

Continue Reading

Movie News

Netflix, other streamers score huge win as the Academy votes to leave eligibility rules intact

Published

on

Alfonso Cuaron Academy Awards
GETTY IMAGES

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences’ Board of Governors voted late Tuesday night to approve several new rules and changes that will affect the upcoming 92nd Academy Awards in 2020, the most notable of which has to do with Rule Two; the Academy’s eligibility law.

The Board of Governors voted to maintain the rule, which states that, in order to be eligible for awards consideration, a film must have a minimum seven-day theatrical run in a Los Angeles County commercial theater, with at least three screenings per day for paid admission.

Additionally, films released in non-theatrical media (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc.) on or after the first day of their Los Angeles County theatrical qualifying run will remain eligible.

“We support the theatrical experience as integral to the art of motion pictures, and this weighed heavily in our discussions,” Academy president John Bailey said. “Our rules currently require theatrical exhibition and also allow for a broad selection of films to be submitted for Oscars consideration.”

He added, “We plan to further study the profound changes occurring in our industry and continue discussions with our members about these issues.”

The vote is a huge win for streaming services like Netflix, which has long had a rather rocky relationship with the Academy, which was reportedly exploring the possibility of implementing new rules that would have significantly limited the Oscar eligibility of films that debut on Netflix and other streaming platforms.

The proposed changes were so alarming that the U.S. Justice Department sent the Academy a letter stating that the new rules could raise antitrust concerns and violate federal competition law.

Among the other notable changes approved by the Board of Governors includes the renaming of the Foreign Language Film category, which will now be known as the International Feature Film category, and the number of nominated films in the Makeup and Hairstyling category, which has been increased from three to five.

Continue Reading