Ben Affleck appeared alongside his Justice League co-stars at San Diego Comic-Con today where he seemingly shut down rumors that he would no longer be playing Batman after an article from The Hollywood Reporter suggested that Warner Bros. was developing a plan that would usher him out of the DC Extended Universe.
Rather than transcribing what Affleck said during the Hall H panel, we figured it would be best to embed the video of him speaking about the matter, courtesy of our good friends over at JoBlo, which is too good not to share. Take a look for yourself below:
— JoBlo.com (@joblocom) July 22, 2017
And below is the original report we brought to you yesterday.
Original story: It’s no secret that there is a lot of back and forth with Ben Affleck’s involvement in the DC Extended Universe. Around the end of last year and into the current one, Affleck happily confirmed that he would be directing The Batman after previously stating in an interview that “it was not a set thing” and that “there’s no script.” However, weeks later, he changed courses and officially stepped down from his position as a director on the high-profile project.
Fast forward to the present day, and it appears Affleck’s involvement in the DCEU is in limbo once again as The Hollywood Reporter suggests that Warner Bros. is working on a plan that would help “usher out Affleck’s Batman gracefully” and that they would address the change “in some shape or form in one of the upcoming DC films.”
With Affleck heading to San Diego Comic-Con this weekend to help promote Justice League on the studio’s Hall H panel on Saturday, a request for comment from Warner Bros. on THR’s report didn’t lead us to anything new, but rather previously released statement from Toby Emmerich, the studio’s president and chief content officer. Take a look below:
“Ben is our Batman. We love him as Batman. We want to keep him in the cowl as long as we can.”
For Affleck, though, the situation at hand could be much greater than simply just not wanting to play the role, one that is very near and dear to his heart, anymore. Back in March, the actor revealed that he had “completed treatment for alcohol addiction” and that it was “something I’ve dealt with in the past and will continue to confront.” Among all the speculation, perhaps Affleck just simply needs to take some time to focus on himself and his family, which is something that I think we can all relate to in one way or another.
Until a decision has been made, you can certainly expect to see Affleck in Justice League this November, while his involvement with Matt Reeves’ The Batman, which is currently undergoing a major change in screenplays, is still on the table until production begins in 2018.
Oh god, the cast of Mel Gibson’s very unnecessary remake of ‘The Wild Bunch’ is actually pretty good
As if I wasn’t already Mad Online™ enough today, Deadline has broken the news that Michael Fassbender, Jamie Foxx, and Peter Dinklage are all in talks to join the cast of Mel Gibson’s remake of Sam Peckinpah’s 1969 Western classic The Wild Bunch.
Gibson is co-writing the movie along with Bryan Bagby, who has not had a credit on any film since 2000’s L.I.N.X. (whatever the fuck that is), in addition to executive producing. It’s his first directing effort since 2016’s Hacksaw Ridge.
Now, don’t get me wrong—Fassbender, Foxx, and Dinklage are all incredible actors in their own right. The problem here, though, isn’t them. It’s the fact that I don’t think a movie like The Wild Bunch needs to be remade in any capacity whatsoever, especially not by the likes of Mel Gibson.
As we’ve pointed out on this site several times before and will continue to do so every time Gibson’s name comes up, the dude has a troubling history that includes domestic abuse, homophobia, and racist and anti-Semitic tirades. If you need to be reminded of all of the terrible shit he’s said over the years, check out this list compiled by Gawker.
The fact that Gibson is able to just disappear from the spotlight for a few years, come back, and suddenly be able to find all of the work that he’s finding is absolutely astonishing. Warner Bros. really couldn’t get another, less problematic director to helm this project? Like, literally anybody other than Mel Gibson?
Anyway, no word yet on when The Wild Bunch is set to be released, but production on the projection is expected to get underway this fall, so it seems likely we’ll be seeing this thing by sometime next year at the earliest.
Nicolas Cage is going to star in a ‘hardcore cop thriller’ written by the dude who wrote ‘Green Book’
You all remember Nick Vallelonga, the Oscar-winning Green Book screenwriter and producer who deleted his Twitter account last year after old tweets of his resurfaced in which he pushed Donald Trump’s debunked claim that Muslims could be seen cheering in New Jersey on 9/11, right?
Well, in a bit of rather unfortunate news, IndieWire is reporting that Vallelonga is partnering with none other than Nicolas Cage on his next project, 10 Double Zero, which is described as a “hardcore cop thriller that mixes the grittiness of old school Michael Mann with the cutting-edge style of Sicario.” Yeah, let that sink in for a minute.
Per the film’s official synopsis: “Set in the stifling heat of Louisiana, two police officers take on a personal vendetta to hunt down cop killers, but as they get closer to solving the crime, they find themselves targets of a conspiracy in the ranks of the police force as the investigation leads right back to them.”
Heh, a conspiracy, you say? Vallelonga seems to know a thing or two about those.
Anyway, on a serious note, is this the punishment the world gets for sleeping on the hypnotic masterpiece that was Mandy last year, which features what is arguably the best performance we’ve ever seen from Nicolas Cage? Is this what we get for giving a dude who pushes racist bullshit on social media a bunch of Oscars earlier this year?
I mean, come on. Anything other than this shit.
Watch the first six minutes of Olivia Wilde’s directorial debut ‘Booksmart’ in all of its uncut glory
Ahead of the special early access screenings happening tonight, Annapurna Pictures has released the first six minutes of Olivia Wilde’s raucous delight Booksmart, which premiered to rave reviews at the SXSW Film Festival earlier this year and still has a 100% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
“Told from a wildly original, fresh and modern perspective,” Booksmart follows two academic prodigies (Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein) who, on the eve of their high school graduation, realize that they should have spent less time studying and more time having fun like some of their peers.
So, in an effort to make up for everything that they missed out on in high school, the girls decide to cram four years worth of fun into one single, batshit crazy night that is filled with partying, sex, and lots and lots of booze. Oh, and they might even commit a crime or two along the way, because why not?
Look, I’m not going to rave too much here because I want you to have the pleasure of discovering this wonderful gem of a film for yourself, but all I’m going to say is that the cast, which also includes the likes of Lisa Kudrow, Jason Sudeikis, and Will Forte is absolutely incredible, and the script is so sharp and witty and flawlessly directed by Olivia Wilde and it’s still so hard for me to believe that this is only her debut. If Booksmart doesn’t manage to nab a spot somewhere on my year-end list, I’ll be shocked.
Check out the first six minutes of Booksmart below in all of its uncut glory and be sure to grab a ticket to one of tonight’s early access screenings, because this movie is one that you certainly don’t want to miss. Take my word for it.