We’ll see Ben Affleck return to the big screen as the Dark Knight in November’s much-anticipated Justice League and we’ve known for quite some time that he’ll be directing the superhero’s solo outing, simply titled The Batman. However, in a recent interview, Affleck doesn’t sound so sure about taking on the superhero flick for himself after all.
Speaking to The Guardian, Affleck commented on his position as director and even mentioned that there isn’t even a final script for the film just yet. “That’s the idea. But it’s not a set thing and there’s no script. If it doesn’t come together in a way I think is really great, I’m not going to do it,” he said.
Affleck has been working on the script for The Batman with DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns. In September, it was confirmed by Johns that True Blood star Joe Manganiello would be playing Deathstroke, one of the most popular villains in the DC Universe.
Manganiello offered an update on The Batman in November where he said that the film would “take this franchise in a direction that I think a lot of people are going to be really happy about” and that it will “be gritty and action packed and cerebral and all of those elements that people love about Batman.”
With that having been said, it seems as if Affleck has a general idea of where he would like to take the Caped Crusader’s standalone movie, it’s now just a matter of bringing it all together to create a good screenplay. We know what he’s capable of as a writer (and director) with films such as The Town and Argo—let’s stay hopeful that he can pull this movie off.
Affleck’s latest effort Live By Night is currently playing in a limited release and will expand wide on January 13, 2017. Justice League is slated for release on November 17, 2017.
‘The Curse of La Llorona’ leads sluggish Easter weekend with $25 million at the box office
Ahead of what is almost certainly going to be a record-breaking opening weekend for Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame, New Line’s horror pic The Curse of La Llorona managed to conjure up a solid $11.8 million from 3,372 theaters on Friday, putting it on track for an overall $25 million debut.
La Llorona, which comes courtesy of the same team behind the Conjuring franchise, including producer James Wan, is leading what appears to be the slowest Easter weekend since 2005, with many studios holding onto their releases until after Endgame debuts on April 26.
Some box office analysts say that the lackluster weekend can be credited to the possibility that many moviegoers may curb their movie ticket spending in the weekend prior to a big release like Endgame, which smashed pre-sale ticket records earlier this month.
While it seems evident that La Llorona is doomed to get lost in the superhero movie hype next weekend, the horror film, produced for a modest $9 million, will have already made back its budget by the end of the holiday weekend, so it’s already a win for New Line/Warner Bros.
Warner Bros. is also holding strong in second place at the box office this weekend with the critically acclaimed superhero pic Shazam! The film, backed by strong reviews and word of mouth, collected $6.2 million from 4,183 locations on Friday and is on track for a $17.2 million haul by Sunday.
Placing third is Fox’s faith-based drama Breakthrough, which opened on Wednesday and is expected to bring in more than $10 million over the holiday weekend, putting its five-day total around the $14 million mark.
Disney’s nature documentary Penguins also opened Wednesday and is looking to bring in $3.5 million over the course of the weekend after grossing $901,000 from 1,815 theaters on Friday.
Clint Eastwood is in talks once again to direct ‘The Ballad of Richard Jewell’ for Disney-Fox
Four months after the release of his last film The Mule, 88-year-old Clint Eastwood has already set his sights on a new project to tackle: The Ballad of Richard Jewell, a film that once had the likes of Jonah Hill and Leonardo DiCaprio attached to star.
While both Hill and DiCaprio are now no longer a part of the cast, Deadline reports that the duo will be staying on board as producers and Eastwood will begin assembling a new cast over the course of the next few months in hopes that he can begin production this summer.
Based on the 1997 Vanity Fair article of the same name, The Ballad of Richard Jewell is based on the true story of a security guard who was incorrectly identified by the media as the F.B.I.’s prime suspect in the Olympic Park bombing during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.
Eastwood, who was previously attached to direct the film back in 2015 before ultimately parting ways with the project, will be working from a script written by Billy Ray, whose most recent work includes Ang-Lee’s Gemini Man and Tim Miller’s Terminator reboot.
DiCaprio is producing under his Appian Way banner along with Jennifer Davisson, with Misher Film’s Kevin Misher, Andy Berman, and Hill also serving as producers. Mike Ireland is overseeing the production of the film for Disney-Fox.
Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham team-up against Idris Elba in new ‘Hobbs & Shaw’ trailer
Universal Pictures has released a new trailer for Hobbs & Shaw, the upcoming Fast & Furious spinoff which finds Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham having to team-up to take down a villainous Idris Elba before he wipes out humanity as we know it.
Directed by David Leitch, the film follows Hobbs (Johnson), a loyal agent of America’s Diplomatic Security Service, and lawless outcast Shaw (Statham), a former British military elite operative, as they embark on a mission to stop the cyber-genetically enhanced anarchist Brixton (Elba), who has gained control of an insidious bio-threat.
Along the way, they’ll need help from the brilliant and fearless rogue MI6 agent who just happens to be Shaw’s sister (Vanessa Kirby), as well as Hobbs’ family, who seems to know a thing or two when it comes to fighting, judging by some of the footage showcased in the trailer.
Chris Morgan, the Fast & Furious franchise veteran who has written each and every installment to date since 2006’s Tokyo Drift, returns to write this one, in addition to producing along with Johnson, Statham, and Hiram Garcia.
Hobbs & Shaw also stars Eiza Gonzalez, Helen Mirren, Eddie Marsan, Roman Reigns, Cliff Curtis, Josh Mauga, and John Tui, and will hit theaters on August 2.