Ben Affleck will no longer be playing Batman - Silver Screen Beat
Connect with us

Movie News

As Matt Reeves takes ‘The Batman’ in a new direction, Ben Affleck is out of the role for good

Published

on

Ben Affleck
EMMA MCINTYRE/GETTY IMAGES

After several very long months of rumors, speculation, and conflicting reports questioning whether or not Ben Affleck will reprise his role as Batman for the Caped Crusader’s long-awaited standalone movie, it seems as though the actor is officially stepping away from the role for good.

Affleck, who signed a deal to play the Dark Knight in multiple DC Extended Universe movies in the summer of 2013, will no longer be starring in The Batman because the movie will reportedly be focusing on a much younger version of Bruce Wayne, sources tell Deadline.

The Batman, which Warner Bros. announced today will hit theaters on June 25, 2021, was originally supposed to be co-written and directed by Affleck, but, in light of pre-production issues, he eventually decided to exit the director’s chair and stay on as the film’s star and producer.

“There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions,” Affleck said in a statement at the time. “Performing this role demands focus, passion, and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require,” adding that he remains “extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.”

Shortly thereafter, Warner Bros. opted to hire War for the Planet of the Apes director Matt Reeves to replace Affleck, and he promptly began reshaping Affleck’s original vision for the film with a brand new draft of the script, which Reeves recently told THR is still being worked on.

“It’s very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale. It’s told very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it’s going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional,” Reeves said.

Affleck seemingly confirmed Deadline’s report on Twitter earlier this evening, writing that he is excited for The Batman to come out in the summer of 2021 and to see Reeves’ vision for the film “come to life.”

Advertisement
Comments

Movie News

Daniel Kaluuya, Lakeith Stanfield in talks to star in drama about Black Panther Party leader

Published

on

Black Panther Party movie Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield
LEFT: RICH FURY/GETTY IMAGES RIGHT: GETTY IMAGES

Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield, who both starred in Jordan Peele’s psychological thriller Get Out in 2017, are set to reunite for the upcoming film Jesus Was My Homeboy, a historical drama detailing the controversial death of Black Panther Party leader Fred Hampton.

The film, which is being produced by Black Panther director Ryan Coogler and Charles King, will reportedly “follow the rise and untimely demise of Hampton as seen through O’Neal’s eyes,” according to Deadline.

Shaka King is directing and producing Jesus Was My Homeboy, working from a script he co-wrote along with Will Berson.

Kaluuya is in talks to play Hampton, while play Stanfield is in talks to play William O’Neal, a federal government informant who infiltrated the Black Panthers and provided authorities with key details about Hampton the layout of Hampton’s apartment.

Hampton and Mark Clark, another Black Panther Party member, would later be killed in Hampton’s Chicago apartment by a tactical unit of the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, who were carrying out orders from Chicago police and the FBI in December 1969.

While their deaths were ruled to be a “justifiable homicide,” a civil lawsuit filed on behalf of relatives of Hampton and Clark found otherwise, and the City of Chicago, Cook County, and the federal government were required to pay $1.85 million to the plaintiffs.

Sev Ohanian, Zinzi Coogler, Kim Roth, and Poppy Hanks are executive producing the film, which is expected to begin production later this year.

Continue Reading

Movie News

New photo teases Tom Hanks and Matthew Rhys in Marielle Heller’s Mister Rogers biopic

Published

on

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
TRISTAR PICTURES

Tristar Pictures has released a new image from A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, the upcoming Mister Rogers biopic starring Tom Hanks in the role of the beloved children’s television show host. The film comes courtesy of Can You Ever Forgive Me? director Marielle Heller.

Per the film’s official synopsis, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is “a timely story of kindness triumphing over cynicism, based on the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers and journalist Tom Junod,” who you may have seen featured in the documentary Won’t You Be My Neighbor? last year.

Written by Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster, the story begins when a jaded magazine writer (Matthew Rhys) accepts an assignment to write a profile piece on Mister Rogers, following him as he overcomes his skepticism about Rogers and learning about empathy, kindness, and decency from America’s most beloved neighbor in the process.

Marc Turtletaub, Peter Saraf, and Youree Henley are producing the film, which also stars Chris Cooper, Susan Kelechi Watson, Enrico Colatoni, Maryann Plunkett, Tammy Blanchard, Wendy Makkena, Sakina Jaffrey, Carmen Cusack, Noah Harpster, and Maddie Corman.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood will open in theaters just in time for awards season on November 22, 2019.

You can check out the newly released image above.

Continue Reading

Movie News

Amid an intense wave of backlash, the Academy has decided to air all Oscar categories live

Published

on

Oscars
MATT SAYLES/INVISION

In the wake of an intense wave of backlash, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Friday that they will be reversing their controversial decision to present four technical categories their awards during commercial breaks at the 91st Oscars ceremony next Sunday.

“The Academy has heard the feedback from its membership regarding the Oscar presentation of four awards – Cinematography, Film Editing, Live Action Short, and Makeup and Hairstyling,” the AMPAS board of governors said in a statement. “All Academy Awards will be presented without edits, in our traditional format.”

Sources familiar with the matter tell Silver Screen Beat that the Academy’s change of heart came after AMPAS president John Bailey and CEO Dawn Hudson met with members of the group’s cinematography branch Thursday evening to discuss the decision, which did not go over well with many Hollywood filmmakers and craftspeople.

“Relegating these essential cinematic crafts to lesser status in this 91st Academy Awards ceremony is nothing less than an insult to those of us who have devoted our lives and passions to our chosen profession,” read an open letter to the Academy signed by dozens of industry figures, including directors Martin Scorsese and Spike Lee and cinematographers Roger Deakins and Rachel Morrison.

The letter ends with a quote from Academy member Seth Rogen, who tweeted earlier this week, “What better way to celebrate achievements in film than to NOT publicly honour the people whose job it is to film things.”

The 91st Oscars will air live from the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles on Sunday, February 24 on ABC.

Continue Reading