A standalone 'Black Widow' movie is finally in deveopment at Marvel
Connect with us

Movies

A standalone Black Widow movie is in early development at Marvel as the studio brings on a writer

Published

on

Black Widow

Though the film has no official greenlight as of yet, it appears the standalone Black Widow movie starring Scarlett Johansson as the titular superhero is finally beginning to take shape as Marvel Studios has tapped screenwriter Jac Schaeffer to begin working on a script for the untitled project.

According to a report from Variety, Marvel’s Kevin Feige met with several other writers before hiring Schaeffer, whose most recent work includes Olaf’s Frozen Adventure and Nasty Women, the latter being a female-led remake of Frank Oz’s 1988 comedy Dirty Rotten Scoundrels that will star Anne Hathaway, Rebel Wilson, and Alex Sharp.

Advertisement

Calling a standalone Black Widow movie long overdue would be an understatement, to say the least, especially since Johansson’s character has been a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe for eight years, making her first appearance in Iron Man 2. She’ll appear on the big screen again this summer in Avengers: Infinity War.

However, if and when Marvel does get the ball rolling on this standalone Black Widow movie, it won’t be their first female-led superhero flick, as Brie Larson’s highly anticipated Captain Marvel, which is expected to begin production in Los Angeles later this month, is scheduled to be released next year in 2019.

Advertisement
Comments

Movies

‘James Bond 25’ sets international and domestic distribution, production to begin in December

Published

on

Daniel Craig Bond 25
MGM STUDIOS

It’s official: Universal has won the rights to distribute James Bond 25 internationally with MGM handling domestic distribution with Annapurna Pictures, according to a press release issued Thursday evening. Danny Boyle is directing the film which will mark Daniel Craig’s fifth and final outing as the legendary title character.

“We are delighted to announce that the exceptionally talented Danny Boyle will be directing Daniel Craig in his fifth outing as James Bond in the 25th installment of the franchise,” said EON Productions’ Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli. “We will begin shooting Bond 25 at Pinewood Studios in December with our partners at MGM and are thrilled that Universal will be our international distributor.”

Advertisement

John Hodge, who has previously collaborated with Boyle on a number of different projects, including both Trainspotting and its sequel, is currently writing the script for Bond 25. Ben Whishaw, Naomie Harris, and Rory Kinnear are all expected to reprise their roles for the sequel, though the studios have yet to make any official announcements regarding casting.

“We are working on a script right now. And it all depends on that really. I am working on a Richard Curtis script at the moment. We hope to start shooting that in 6 or 7 weeks. Then Bond would be right at the end of the year. But we are working on them both right now,” Boyle said in March. “We’ve got an idea, John Hodge, the screenwriter, and I have got this idea, and John is writing it at the moment. And it all depends on how it turns out. It would be foolish of me to give any of it away.”

Universal is scheduled to release James Bond 25 in the U.K. and internationally on October 25, 2019, with MGM releasing the film in the U.S. just a few weeks later on November 9, 2019.

Continue Reading

Movies

‘Logan’ director James Mangold to write and direct a stand-alone Boba Fett movie for Lucasfilm

Published

on

LUCASFILM LTD.

As moviegoers descend upon cineplexes this weekend for Solo: A Star Wars Story, the latest entry in the stand-alone Star Wars series, Lucasfilm is already getting development on the next stand-alone adventure underway as the studio has hired a writer and director to tackle a story centering on one of the franchise’s most mysterious characters.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, after being put on the backburner for nearly three years after Josh Trank unexpectedly parted ways with the project, the Boba Fett movie is officially back on track with Logan co-writer and director James Mangold set to write and direct the film. But this isn’t the only stand-alone Star Wars movie Lucasfilm is developing.

Advertisement

THR’s report also notes that Lucasfilm is developing a number of other projects centering on multiple well-known characters in the franchise, including Obi-Wan Kenobi, which, last we heard, has Stephen Daldry in talks to direct, though the film still does not have a script nor are any writers attached to it as of yet.

As for the Boba Fett movie, which currently does not have a release date, Simon Kinberg, the longtime X-Men producer who will make his directorial debut in 2019 with X-Men: Dark Phoenix, is producing the Boba Fett project and, according to sources close to the development on the film, will reportedly co-write the script with Mangold.

Continue Reading

Movies

Harvey Weinstein charged with rape and other sex crimes after turning himself in to police in New York

Published

on

Harvey Weinstein
POOL/GETTY IMAGES

Disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein turned himself in to authorities in New York City this morning and was formally charged with rape, a criminal sex act, sex abuse, and sexual misconduct for incidents involving two separate women, according to a statement released by the New York Police Department.

Weinstein was seen exiting the 1st Precinct in Manhattan around 8:45 a.m. ET in handcuffs where he was flanked by dozens of journalists and spectators, even cracking a smile for photographers, as he was escorted to a black SUV waiting to take him to be arraigned in Manhattan Criminal Court.

“The NYPD thanks these brave survivors for their courage to come forward and seek justice,” police said in a statement regarding Weinstein’s arrest. “The arrest and ensuing charges are the result of a joint investigation between the NYPD and the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office.”

Advertisement

In court, Assistant District Atty. Joan Illuzzi-Orbon, who took over as the prosecutor in New York’s case against Weinstein in April, said that the “defendant used his position, money, and power to lure young women into situations where he was able to violate them sexually,” but Weinstein’s attorney, Benjamin Brafman, seems to believe that he and his team have evidence substantial enough to dismiss the charges against his client.

“These charges, we believe that they are constitutionally flawed,” Brafman said as he exited the courthouse and briefly addressed reporters. “We believe that at the end of the process Mr. Weinstein will be exonerated,” adding that jurors are likely to side with his client, but only if they are “not consumed by the movement that seems to have consumed this case,” an obvious reference to the #MeToo movement that sparked in October.

Although Weinstein has been accused of some form of sexual harassment or abuse by more than 80 women, authorities told the Associated Press that these particular charges stem from a case related to former actress Lucia Evans, who says the producer forced her to perform oral sex on him 2004, and actress Paz De la Huerta, who accused Weinstein of raping her twice in her own apartment.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement