'Candyman' sequel from Jordan Peele moves forward - Silver Screen Beat
Connect with us

Movie News

MGM taps Nia DaCosta to direct ‘Candyman’ sequel from Jordan Peele and Win Rosenfeld

Published

on

Jordan Peele Candyman
CHRISTOPHER POLK/GETTY IMAGES

Nearly two months after it was first reported that Jordan Peele was in talks for a remake of Candyman, the 1992 horror film adapted from Clive Barker’s short story The Forbidden, MGM has announced that Peele has officially signed on to co-write and produce what will actually be a “spiritual sequel” to the original.

Peele and Win Rosenfeld are set to produce the Candyman sequel, which will be directed by indie filmmaker Nia DaCosta, who made her directorial debut with the Western crime thriller Little Woods earlier this year, via their Monkeypaw Productions, in addition to co-writing the script together.

“The original was a landmark film for black representation in the horror genre,” Peele said in a statement. “Alongside Night of the Living DeadCandyman was a major inspiration for me as a filmmaker, and to have a bold new talent like Nia at the helm of this project is truly exciting. We are honored to bring the next chapter in the Candyman canon to life and eager to provide new audiences with an entry point to Clive Barker’s legend.”

The sequel, which will return to the neighborhood where the legend began, the now-gentrified section of Chicago where the Cabrini-Green housing projects once stood, will begin production in the spring of 2019 and is scheduled to be released by MGM and Universal on June 12, 2020.

“We cannot wait for the world to see what the mind-blowing combination of Jordan, Win and Nia bring to the legend of Candyman. They have created a story that will not only pay reverence to Clive Barker’s haunting and brilliant source material but is also thoroughly modern and will bring in a whole new generation of fans,” said MGM Motion Picture Group president Jon Glickman.

Advertisement
Comments

Movie News

Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, and Margot Robbie glare intensely at each other in the ‘Bombshell’ trailer

Published

on

Bombshell
LIONSGATE

Despite taking place entirely in a hot, stuffy elevator and featuring little to no dialogue, the first trailer for Jay Roach’s Fox News drama Bombshell about the downfall of Roger Ailes does a pretty damn good job of showcasing what is likely to be a serious contender this awards season.

Written by Charles Randolph, Bombshell chronicles the inevitable collapse of Ailes’ reign at Fox News, where he served as chairman and CEO up until his resignation in 2016 amid dozens of sexual harassment and abuse allegations from several female employees at the conservative media empire.

Among the many women who accused Ailes of misconduct were former Fox News hosts Megyn Kelly and Gretchen Carlson, who are played here by Charlize Theron and Nicole Kidman, respectively, while Margot Robbie plays as a fictional associate producer named Kayla Pospisil.

As if those three stars weren’t enough, the film’s ensemble cast also includes the likes of John Lithgow (who plays Ailes), Allison Janney, Kate McKinnon, Malcolm McDowell, Mark Duplass, Rob Delaney, and Stephen Root.

I don’t know about you, but I dig everything about this trailer (I could literally watch Nicole Kidman, Charlize Theron, and Margot Robbie glaring at each other in an elevator all day) and I’m actually pretty excited to see how Bombshell turns out when it drops in December.

Continue Reading

Movie News

This whole Spider-Man dilemma between Sony and Disney is extraordinarily fucking complicated

Published

on

Spider-Man
SONY PICTURES

As you may have heard yesterday, Tom Holland‘s Spider-Man has essentially left the Marvel Cinematic Universe due to the fact that Disney and Sony were unable “to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward,” according to Deadline.

Disney, after originally agreeing to receive just 5% of the box office gross of Sony’s Spider-Man movies, wanted to renegotiate a new deal that would allow them to take a much larger 50% cut because they would also be putting up half the funding under the new terms.

In other words, Disney, which basically controls half of the entertainment industry at this point, wanted to gain even more control over what is inarguably Sony’s most successful franchise to date and the latter wasn’t going to let that happen. Or so we thought?

A statement released by Sony late last night seems to pin the blame for this entire dilemma on Disney, claiming that they are the ones preventing any further involvement of Spider-Man in the MCU, furthering complicating what was already a pretty fucking complicated scenario.

“Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live-action Spider-Man film,” the statement reads.

It goes on to say, “We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.”

So, uh, what’s really going on here? Is Disney actually to blame? Did Sony (rightfully) turn down the Mouse House’s astonishingly greedy 50/50 offer? Are we going to have to witness another godforsaken Spider-Man origin story? It seems a little too early to tell at this point, but time will certainly tell.

Continue Reading

Movie News

Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Lana Wachowski are returning for a fourth ‘Matrix’ movie

Published

on

Matrix
WARNER BROS.

In a truly shocking development, Variety is reporting that the Matrix 4 is officially in the works (!) with Lana Wachowski returning to the director’s chair and Keanu Reeves and Carie-Anne Moss reprising their respective roles as Neo and Trinity.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering The Matrix with Lana,” said Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich. “Lana is a true visionary—a singular and original creative filmmaker—and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in The Matrix universe.”

Production on the film is scheduled to begin as early as the beginning of next year with Wachowski helming from a script she co-wrote the script along with Aleksander Hemon and David Mitchell, so it shouldn’t be too long of a wait before we can finally get this thing in front of our eyeballs.

“Many of the ideas Lilly and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now. I’m very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends,” Wachowski said.

We’ve been hearing rumblings about a potential reboot of the Matrix franchise for a while now, so the fact that Warner Bros. seems to have abandoned that idea altogether in favor of moving forward with a true sequel with Wachowski, Reeves, and Moss all set to return is pretty damn exciting.

Continue Reading