Damien Chazelle teams up with Apple for TV series - Silver Screen Beat
Connect with us

Television

Damien Chazelle is reteaming with his ‘La La Land’ producers for a secretive new TV project for Apple

Published

on

Damien Chazelle

After signing a deal with Netflix in September to direct and executive produce The Eddy, an eight-episode musical drama series that takes place in Paris, a new report from The New York Times reveals that Damien Chazelle is reteaming with his La La Land producers for yet another television project.

According to The Times, Chazelle, who wrote and directed last year’s Oscar-winning jazz-infused musical La La Land, will also write and direct each episode of the upcoming TV series from Apple, which is to be produced by Jordan Horowitz and Fred Berger—two of the four La La Land producers. However, Apple is reportedly keeping many details about the project tightly under wraps.

Advertisement

“How many episodes will it be? Where will it take place? What’s it about? Apple would not answer any of those questions,” The Times wrote. Whatever it is, though, it certainly won’t lack a budget; Apple announced last year that it would invest more than $1 billion in original movies and TV shows in order to compete with streaming giants like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

As for Chazelle’s project with Netflix, The Eddy is described as a musical drama set in contemporary multi-cultural Paris revolving around a club, its owner, the house band, the chaotic city that surrounds them. Do you think the series will have anything to do with Emma Stone’s aunt? Only time will tell.

Advertisement
Comments

Television

Robert De Niro receives standing ovation after saying ‘Fuck Trump’ twice at the Tony Awards

Published

on

Robert De Niro
THEO WARGO/GETTY IMAGES

After taking the stage to introduce Bruce Springsteen’s musical performance at last night’s Tony Awards at Radio City Music Hall, legendary actor Robert De Niro had a few choice words for President Donald Trump. However, while CBS, who has the telecast on a seven-second delay, decided to censor De Niro’s remarks, that didn’t stop the actor’s message from getting across by means of social media.

“I’m going to say one thing, Fuck Trump,” De Niro said, pumping his fists in the air and nodding with approval as the crowd instantly rose to their feet to give the actor a standing ovation. “It’s no longer down with Trump. It’s fuck Trump.”

While viewers from coast to coast were originally a bit confused by what De Niro had said due to the fact the remarks were bleeped by a CBS employee, Rhett Bartlett, a writer for The Hollywood Reporter, posted an unedited video of De Niro’s remarks on Twitter that was taken from the telecast’s Australian feed, where the vulgarities went uncensored.

Advertisement

In a brief statement issued Sunday evening, a CBS spokesperson said: “Mr. De Niro’s comments were unscripted and unexpected. The offensive language was deleted from the broadcast.”

Last night’s remarks wouldn’t be the first time De Niro has told the world how he really feels about the president. At the National Board of Review Annual Awards Gala back in January, De Niro referred to Trump as the “jerk-off-in-chief” and called him a “fucking idiot,” while condemning the president for putting the press under siege.

Continue Reading

Television

Celebrity chef, TV personality, and writer Anthony Bourdain dead at 61 in apparent suicide

Published

on

Anthony Bourdain
MIKE COPPOLA/GETTY IMAGES

Anthony Bourdain, the world-renowned celebrity chef, writer, and television personality who hosted CNN’s Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, was found dead in his hotel room in France on Friday morning from an apparent suicide. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain’s death on Friday, saying he was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning series for the network when Bourdain’s friend and celebrity chef Eric Ripert found him unresponsive.

“It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain,” CNN said in a statement this morning. “His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time.”

Advertisement

Bourdain was the author of the New York Times best-selling book Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly, which would ultimately help launch his career and help achieve celebrity status, before later going on to host the Travel Channel’s two-time Emmy-winning series No Reservations. Bourdain later joined CNN, where he would earn two more Emmys and a Peabody Award for his work on Parts Unknown.

“Tony will be greatly missed not only for his work but also for the passion with which he did it,” CNN chief executive Jeff Zucker wrote in an email to staff. “Tony was an exceptional talent. A storyteller. A gifted writer. A world traveler.  An adventurer. He brought something to CNN that no one else had ever brought before,” adding that “this is a very, very sad day.”

If you or someone you know is considering suicide, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

Continue Reading

Television

Netflix renews teen suicide drama ’13 Reasons Why’ for Season 3, releases announcement video

Published

on

13 Reasons Why
BETH DUBBER/NETFLIX

Netflix has renewed their controversial teen suicide drama 13 Reasons Why has been announced for a third season, the streaming giant announced in a press release on Wednesday. The renewal news comes just mere weeks after the series debuted its highly anticipated second season earlier this month on May 18.

Series creator Brian Yorkey will return as showrunner for Season 3, which is being produced by Paramount Television and Anonymous Content. Filming on the upcoming season is expected to begin later this year with stars Dylan Minnette, Miles Heizer, and Alisa Boe all expected to reprise their respective roles.

Katherine Langford, who played Hannah Baker in Season 1 and Season 2, confirmed that she will not be returning for the third season, but promises that she will maintain her connection with the show’s fans in one way or another whether it be through social media or some other medium.

Advertisement

“For me, we told Hannah’s story so fully in Season 1,” Langford said in an interview with EW. “In a way, doing that scene in episode 13, I’ve so often referred to it as it was the hardest scene because it’s the scene where I had to let her go. I think coming back this season was challenging because it was playing her but not really her.”

Season 2 of 13 Reasons Why picks up in the aftermath of Hannah’s death and the start of Clay (Minnette) and the other characters’ complicated journeys toward healing and recovery. However, someone will stop at nothing to keep the truth surrounding Hannah’s death concealed, and a series of ominous polaroids leads Clay and his classmates to uncover a sickening secret and a conspiracy to cover it all up.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement