Prepare to begin questioning the accomplishments of your own life after you read about Jacob Staudenmaier, a 17-year-old high school student from Phoenix, Arizona who loves making and watching movies, aspires to go to film school after he graduates and recently asked Oscar-winning actress Emma Stone to his prom later this month. This kid is definitely going places.
“It only took 2 hours to film it, but it required about two weeks of intense planning on my part,” Staudenmaier told me during a late-night interview on Tuesday. He’s talking about his recreation of the opening scene of Damien Chazelle’s jazz-infused musical La La Land where he re-wrote the lyrics of Justin Hurwitz’s “Another Day of Sun” to ask the film’s star, Stone, to his upcoming high school prom. “I don’t think it was easy, but all the planning I did helped make the filming go smoothly. I really enjoyed getting to recreate that scene because it’s one of my favorites of recent memory.”
At press time, Staudenmaier’s unique prom proposal has nearly 6,000 likes and 3,000 retweets, with interview requests from major networks such as ABC and FOX pouring in by the dozens. “I did not expect the reaction would be so intense and amazing when I released the video,” he said. “La La Land was one of my favorite films of the year and I’ve always loved Emma Stone as an actress. A student at my high school had also asked Miley Cirus to prom several years back which gave me the inspiration for this, but I decided if I was doing it I needed to make it big and ambitious. I didn’t want it to just be me standing with a prom sign.”
— Jacob Staudenmaier (@upsettrout) April 4, 2017
We reached out to Stone’s reps for comment but haven’t heard back just yet. As for Staudenmaier, he has a backup plan just in case Stone doesn’t respond or, unfortunately, decides to decline the invitation. However, we’re keeping our fingers crossed that Stone, a Phoenician herself, decides to make Staudenmaier one lucky teenager.
A lover of cinema, Staudenmaier says one of his favorite films is Whiplash, Chazelle’s first big hit before La La Land made waves around the world last year with its impressive musical numbers and ensemble cast that also included Ryan Gosling, John Legend, and J.K. Simmons. “A few of my other favorite films would be Pulp Fiction, The Departed, Inception, Memento, and No Country for Old Men. I love watching anything and everything.” Staudenmaier, who loves to make films whether they are “getting lots of attention or none,” admires the work of Edgar Wright, Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, “and of course, Damien Chazelle.”
When I asked Staudenmaier for his thoughts on the Best Picture frenzy at the 89th Oscars back in February, he said that the situation was “absolutely wild” but thought both films were amazing and equally deserving of Hollywood’s top honor. “I was glad Moonlight got a little bit more attention since La La Land had received numerous other awards.”
Best of luck to you, Jacob. Here’s to hoping you make every other guy at your school jealous.
Timothée Chalamet is in final talks to play Paul Atreides in Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’ adaptation
Timothée Chalamet is going from indie to blockbuster as the 21-year-old Oscar-nominee is in final talks to star in Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi epic Dune, an adaptation of the best-selling novel of the same name written by Frank Herbert, Silver Screen Beat has learned.
According to Deadline, Chalamet will be playing Paul Atreides, the son of a noble family trying to avenge his father’s death while also trying to save a spice planet that he is entrusted to protect with his life. Kyle MacLachlan played the character in the David Lynch-directed 1984 original.
Villeneuve is directing the long-in-the-works project, which has been in development at Legendary since 2008, from a screenplay written by Oscar-winner Eric Roth. The director will also serve as a producer on the film alongside Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, while Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, Thomas Tull, and Kim Herbert are executive producing.
For Chalamet, this is just another step in the right direction for the young actor, who picked up an Oscar-nomination for his outstanding breakout performance in Luca Guadagnino’s gay coming-of-age tale Call Me by Your Name back in January.
Chalamet is likely to garner some awards attention come this October when his latest film, Beautiful Boy, opens in theaters. Felix Van Groeningen directed the upcoming drama, which also stars Steve Carell, and chronicles the heartbreaking and inspiring experience of survival, relapse, and recovery in a family coping with addiction over many years.
‘Boy Erased’ trailer finds an Oscar-bound Lucas Hedges attending gay conversion therapy
Focus Features has released the first trailer for Boy Erased, the coming-of-age and coming-out drama from writer/director Joel Edgerton, based on the memoir of the same name written by Garrard Conley. The film features an impressive ensemble cast which includes Lucas Hedges, Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, and Edgerton.
The story follows Jared (Hedges), the son of a Baptist pastor in a small American town who is outed to his parents (Kidman, Crowe) at age 19 and is faced with an ultimatum: attend a conversion therapy program – or be permanently exiled and shunned by his family, friends, and faith.
Boy Erased, which is Edgerton’s second feature film as director following the 2015 sleeper hit The Gift, also stars Cherry Jones, Michael “Flea” Balzary, Xavier Dolan, Troye Sivan, Joe Alwyn, Emily Hinkler, Jesse LaTourette, David Joseph Craig, Théodore Pellerin, Madelyn Cline, and Britton Sear.
“I will always thank Garrard for trusting my passion for his life story,” Edgerton said in a statement last year when it was announced that Focus had acquired worldwide distribution rights to Boy Erased. “I can’t think of a better reason to get behind the camera again.”
Focus is set to release Boy Erased in select theaters just in time for the forthcoming awards season on November 2. You can check out the newly released trailer for the film below.
‘Downton Abbey’ movie set to begin production in September with the original cast returning
Focus Features chairman Peter Kujawski announced Friday morning that the long-awaited Downton Abbey movie is set to begin production this September with the original principal cast from the hit television series returning to reprise their respective roles.
According to a press release, Brian Percival, who directed the Downton Abbey pilot, is directing the film from a script written by Julian Fellowes, who created the award-winning series which picked up 15 Emmy Awards over the span of its six-season run.
Downton Abbey follows the lives of the elite Crawley family and the servants who worked for them at the turn of the 20th century in an Edwardian English country home. Michelle Dockery, Maggie Smith, and Hugh Bonneville all starred in the show.
“Since the series ended, fans of Downton have long been waiting for the Crawley family’s next chapter,” said in a statement. Kujawski. “We’re thrilled to join this incredible group of filmmakers, actors and craftspeople, led by Julian Fellowes and Gareth Neame, in bringing back the world of Downton to the big screen.”
The film will be a Carnival Films production, with Focus Features and Universal Pictures International handling distribution.
Adds Carnival’s executive chairman Gareth Neame, who is also producing the film: “When the television series drew to a close it was our dream to bring the millions of global fans a movie and now, after getting many stars aligned, we are shortly to go into production. Julian’s script charms, thrills and entertains and in Brian Percival’s hands we aim to deliver everything that one would hope for as Downton comes to the big screen.”
A release date for the Downton Abbey movie has not been announced, though it seems likely that we’ll see the film hit the big screen towards the backend of next year if production does, in fact, begin this September.
— Downton Abbey (@DowntonAbbey) July 13, 2018