Henry Cavill could be hanging up his red Superman cape for good as THR reports that Cavill, who has played the Man of Steel in three DC Extended Universe films, is parting ways with Warner Bros. after talks broke down for a cameo in next year’s superhero origin story Shazam!
While neither the studio nor reps for Cavill have confirmed the actor’s exit as the iconic superhero, sources with insider knowledge tell THR that after contract talks for the Shazam! cameo broke down, the door began closing on other potential Superman appearances.
Though scheduling conflicts could have certainly been a contributing factor to the failure of the Shazam! deal given the fact that Cavill recently signed on to star in Netflix’s eight-episode fantasy drama The Witcher, Cavill’s unexpected exit could also indicate Warners’ commitment to the idea of a total reset of the DCU.
Last month, it was announced that DC and Warners had begun developing a Supergirl movie with Oren Uziel onboard to write a script that would usher in Kara Zor-El, Superman’s cousin, into the DCU. However, according to THR, the film will be an origin story, effectively removing “an actor of Cavill’s age from the storyline’s equation given that Superman, aka Kal-El, would be an infant, according to DC lore.”
Cavill isn’t the first actor to exit the DCU in recent months, though, as THR also reports that Ben Affleck, whose future in the role of Batman has been in limbo for the past year or so, is not expected to reprise his role for Matt Reeves’ eagerly awaited standalone Batman film. But amid all the shakeups, there are still plenty more DC films on the horizon.
Jason Momoa’s Aquaman will arrive in theaters this December and Wonder Woman: 1984, which began shooting this summer, is scheduled to hit theaters in late 2019. Ezra Miller’s The Flash got a pair of new directors earlier this year with John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein and is expected to begin production early next year.
The long-awaited ‘Space Jam’ sequel is finally moving forward with Ryan Coogler producing
The long-awaited Space Jam sequel is officially moving forward at Warner Bros. with Black Panther director Ryan Coogler signing on to produce the film, which is being directed by Random Acts of Flyness creator Terence Nance and will star LeBron James in his first ever starring role.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, production on the Space Jam sequel is expected to begin in 2019, during the NBA offseason, and will likely feature a number of basketball’s biggest stars and Warner Bros. Looney Toons characters given how many cameos were made in the 1996 original.
The plot of the original Space Jam, a live-action/CG hybrid, revolved around Michael Jordan helping the Looney Tunes gang with a basketball game against a group of outer space creatures who wish to kidnap the Looney Tunes and take them to a failing intergalactic amusement park as the latest attraction.
“I loved his vision” for Black Panther, James told THR about Coogler, describing how about there were no black superheroes growing up when he was a child. “So for Ryan to be able to bring that to kids, it’s amazing.”
Indeed, what Coogler did with Black Panther was quite astounding, setting a new standard for Hollywood and superhero movies after earning more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office with a film that features a predominantly black cast, directed by a black man.
“The Space Jam collaboration is so much more than just me and the Looney Tunes getting together and doing this movie,” says James, “It’s so much bigger. I’d just love for kids to understand how empowered they can feel and how empowered they can be if they don’t just give up on their dreams. And I think Ryan did that for a lot of people.”
— SpringHill Ent. (@SpringHillEnt) September 19, 2018
Focus sets September 2019 release date for ‘Downton Abbey’ movie as production begins
With production on the highly anticipated Downton Abbey movie officially underway, Focus Features announced Wednesday that the film is scheduled to be released in North America on Friday, September 20, 2019, and internationally on Friday, September 13, 2019, via Universal Pictures International.
The eagerly awaited Downton Abbey movie will star the original principal cast, including Hugh Bonneville, Laura Carmichael, Jim Carter, Brendan Coyle, Michelle Dockery, Kevin Doyle, Joanne Froggatt, Matthew Goode, Harry Hadden-Paton, Robert James-Collier, Allen Leech, Phyllis Logan, Elizabeth McGovern, Sophie McShera, Lesley Nicol, and Penelope Wilton.
The film will also feature some new additions to the cast as well including Imelda Staunton, Geraldine James, Simon Jones, David Haig, Tuppence Middleton, Kate Phillips, and Stephen Campbell Moore.
Downtown Abbey creator Julian Fellowes wrote the screenplay for the film, which is now being directed by Michael Engler rather than the previously announced Brian Percival, who has now shifted over to an executive producer role with Nigel Marchant.
“Since the series ended, fans of Downton have long been waiting for the Crawley family’s next chapter,” Focus chairman Peter Kujawski said. “We’re thrilled to join this incredible group of filmmakers, actors, and craftspeople, led by Julian Fellowes and Gareth Neame, in bringing back the world of Downton to the big screen next September.”
The show, which picked up a whopping 15 Primetime Emmy Awards and 69 total nominations over the span of its six-season run, followed the lives of the elite Crawley family and the servants who worked for them at the turn of the 20th century in an Edwardian English country home.
Listen to John Carpenter’s updated version of the iconic Michael Myers theme from ‘Halloween’
As if Halloween fans weren’t already excited enough after reading the rave reviews out of the Toronto International Film Festival and watching that terrifyingly good new trailer, Sacred Bones Records has released an entire track from the upcoming’s sequel soundtrack, and it’s bound to get you into the Halloween spirit.
Appropriately titled “The Shape Returns,” the track was composed by John Carpenter himself and is a riff on the iconic piano theme from his 1978 classic, featuring some killer synths and booming percussion that adds a nice twist to the chilling theme that every horror fan knows and loves. Carpenter composed the score along with his son, Cody, and Daniel Davies.
“It was transforming,” Carpenter said about composing the score for the sequel.“It was not a movie I directed, so I had a lot of freedom in creating the score and getting into the director’s head. I was proud to serve David Gordon Green’s vision.”
The new Halloween, a direct sequel to Carpenter’s original, will see Jamie Lee Curtis reprise her iconic role as Laurie Strode one last time as she comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.
The film also stars Judy Greer, Andi Matichak, Will Patton, Virginia Gardner, and Nick Castle, and will open in theaters next month on October 19, the same day the soundtrack is set to be released. You can listen to “The Shape Returns” in its entirety below.