With their case against Kevin Spacey diminishing, Nantucket prosecutors asked Wednesday for charges to be dropped against the actor, who had been facing a felony charge for the alleged sexual assault of the teenage son of a former Boston TV news anchor in 2016.
In a document filed in the Nantucket District Court, Cape & Islands District Attorney Michael O’Keefe said he was filing a “nolle prosequi,” which, in a criminal case, is an admission that the charges against the defendant cannot be proven. O’Keefe cited the “unavailability of the complaining witness” as his reason for the dismissal of the case.
O’Keefe’s decision to drop the charges against Spacey is not a particularly surprising one. During an evidentiary hearing last week, Spacey’s accuser refused to testify about what happened to a missing cellphone containing text messages — and possibly video — the night the alleged assault took place.
When asked if he knew that he could be charged with a felony should an investigation find that he had tampered with or destroyed evidence on the phone, Spacey’s accuser invoked the Fifth Amendment and was unwilling to continue his testimony, according to The New York Times.
The accuser’s lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, said in a statement that the accuser and his family “have shown an enormous amount of courage under difficult circumstances,” and added that he will not be commenting on the case any further at this time.
Spacey’s lawyer, Alan Jackson, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In December, just moments before the news of the felony charge against Spacey broke, the actor posted to YouTube a bizarre video in which he appears as his character Frank Underwood from the Netflix series House of Cards and says he is “certainly not going to pay the price for the thing I didn’t do.”
Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Lana Wachowski are returning for a fourth ‘Matrix’ movie
In a truly shocking development, Variety is reporting that the Matrix 4 is officially in the works (!) with Lana Wachowski returning to the director’s chair and Keanu Reeves and Carie-Anne Moss reprising their respective roles as Neo and Trinity.
“We could not be more excited to be re-entering The Matrix with Lana,” said Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich. “Lana is a true visionary—a singular and original creative filmmaker—and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in The Matrix universe.”
Production on the film is scheduled to begin as early as the beginning of next year with Wachowski helming from a script she co-wrote the script along with Aleksander Hemon and David Mitchell, so it shouldn’t be too long of a wait before we can finally get this thing in front of our eyeballs.
“Many of the ideas Lilly and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now. I’m very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends,” Wachowski said.
We’ve been hearing rumblings about a potential reboot of the Matrix franchise for a while now, so the fact that Warner Bros. seems to have abandoned that idea altogether in favor of moving forward with a true sequel with Wachowski, Reeves, and Moss all set to return is pretty damn exciting.
Daniel Craig’s final ‘James Bond’ movie finally has an official title and it’s called ‘No Time to Die’
Contrary to popular belief, Bond 25 does in fact have an actual title, as producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli announced today that Cary Joji Fukunaga’s forthcoming James Bond movie starring Daniel Craig has been officially titled No Time to Die.
In addition to the title reveal, however, it looks like we’ve also gotten what appears to be a new synopsis, which reads: “In No Time To Die, Bond (Craig) has left active service and is enjoying a tranquil life in Jamaica. His peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter from the CIA turns up asking for help. The mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology.”
As previously announced, No Time to Die features one hell of a supporting cast that includes the likes of recent Oscar-winner Rami Malek (who is a fan of his mom and chamomile tea, in case you didn’t know) as well as Léa Seydoux, Lashana Lynch, Ben Whishaw, Naomie Harris, Billy Magnussen, Ana de Armas, Rory Kinnear, David Dencik, Dali Benssalah, Jeffrey Wright, and Ralph Fiennes.
No Time to Die, which will mark Craig’s fifth and final outing as the iconic British agent, will be released globally on April 3, 2020 and in the US a week later on April 8. You can check out the newly released title treatment for the film below.
The first trailer for Scott Cooper’s mysterious new horror movie ‘Antlers’ is genuinely creepy as hell
One movie coming out in the foreseeable future that hasn’t been on my radar whatsoever was Scott Cooper’s Antlers, which mostly has to do with the fact that I didn’t even know this movie was a thing that existed. However, the new teaser trailer Fox Searchlight dropped for it today has changed all of that for me.
Based on the short story The Quiet Boy by Nick Antosca, Antlers follows a small-town Oregon teacher (Keri Russell) and her brother (Jesse Plemons), the local sheriff, as they discover that a young student (Jeremy T. Thomas) “is harboring a dangerous secret with frightening consequences.”
Scott Cooper in the director’s chair? Keri Russell and Jesse Plemons in the two lead roles? Guillermo del Toro as one of the producers? I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty sure Antlers has just skyrocketed to the top of my most anticipated list for next year.
Granted I still have no idea what the hell this thing is really about, but the mysteriousness is exactly what makes a movie like Antlers so damn enticing and I’m really looking forward to seeing what Cooper has in store for us with this one when it hits theaters in 2020.