Kevin Spacey's deflective statement sparks outrage on social media
Connect with us

Movie News

Kevin Spacey statement about sexual assault allegations sparks outrage on social media

Published

on

In an interview published by BuzzFeed on Sunday evening, Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp alleged that, in 1986, when he was just 14-years-old, Kevin Spacey, who was 26-years-old at the time, made a sexual advance towards him after a party at Spacey’s apartment.

“He picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold,” Rapp said about Spacey. “But I don’t, like, squirm away initially, because I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’ And then he lays down on top of me.” Though he doesn’t recall how long Spacey was on top of him, Rapp said he was able to “squirm away” and “was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually.”

Nearly three hours after the report was published, Spacey issued a statement via Twitter, claiming he was “beyond horrified” to hear Rapp’s story but does not remember the encounter, as “it would have been over 30 years ago.” After apologizing to Rapp for “what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior,” Spacey then went on to reveal that he has “had relationships with both men and women” and now chooses “to live as a gay man.”

Here is Spacey’s statement in full:

However, Spacey’s statement, which has now been retweeted over 24,000 times at press time, has since ignited plenty of outrage, frustration, and controversy on social media, with Dan Savage, co-founder of It Gets Better, being among the first to condemn the actor’s statement. “Nope to Kevin Spacey’s statement. Nope. There’s no amount of drunk or closeted that excuses or explains away assaulting a 14-year-old child,” Savage tweeted.

“Coming out is a beautiful part of being gay. Attaching it to this vileness is so wrong,’ author Mark Harris wrote, while actress Rose McGowan called upon the media to “keep focus” on Anthony Rapp and “help us level the playing field.” Billy on the Street host Billy Eichner, perhaps echoing Savage’s sentiments, simply tweeted, “Nope. Absolutely not. Nope.”

The allegations against Spacey from Rapp could be the first of many against the actor,  who has famously kept many aspects of his personal life private and away from the spotlight. Shortly after BuzzFeed published their interview with Rapp last night, one source, who works as a freelance journalist, confirmed to me that they are “working on a Spacey story” and “have been” for quite some time.

Meanwhile, Rapp, who, before the BuzzFeed interview was published, had only shared his experience with Spacey with close friends and a few select others over the past 31 years, says that he “came forward with [his] story, standing on the shoulders of the many courageous women and men who have been speaking out to shine a light and hopefully make a difference, as they have done for me.”

“Everything I wanted to say about my experience is in that article, and I have no further comment about it at this time,” Rapp concluded.

Advertisement
Comments

Movie News

‘Transparent’ creator Jill Soloway will replace Bryan Singer as writer-director on ‘Red Sonja’

Published

on

Jill Soloway Red Sonja
GOTPAP/BAUERGRIFFIN.COM

Bryan Singer, in addition to being a pretty bad director, is also a pretty shitty and terrible person, as you probably already know. Earlier this year, The Atlantic published an exposé detailing new sexual misconduct claims against the Bohemian Rhapsody helmer made by several men who claim he sexually assaulted them when they were underage—the youngest being just 13-years-old.

That being said, it was pretty shocking when Millennium Films CEO Avi Lerner referred to the exposé as “agenda driven fake news” and said that he would not be removing Singer from his post as writer-director on the studio’s long-in-the-works Red Sonja, a female-centered superhero film that would reportedly earn Singer a whopping $10 million paycheck.

Fast forward a few months later, and it appears Lerner had a change of heart after all, as Deadline is reporting that Millennium has finally removed Singer from the project and replaced him with Transparent creator Jill Soloway, who is now set to write and direct the project that has been stuck in development hell for more than a decade now at this point.

“I can’t wait to bring Red Sonja’s epic world to life,” Soloway said in a statement to Deadline. “Exploring this powerful mythology and evolving what it means to be a heroine is an artistic dream come true.”

However, as exciting as it is to finally see Red Sonja get back off the ground and into development with someone that isn’t a dude at the helm, don’t expect to see the movie hit theaters anytime soon, as the original report notes that it still “has to be scripted, cast and prepped” and “it is likely Soloway will direct something before it.”

Continue Reading

Movie News

‘Halloween 2’ will begin shooting this fall with Jamie Lee Curtis and David Gordon Green returning

Published

on

Halloween 2
UNIVERSAL PICTURES

Earlier this month, we brought you a report about how Jamie Lee Curtis and Jason Blum had met up to probably discuss the development of another Halloween movie and it sounds like our speculation was right on point: The Shape isn’t dead after all.

According to Collider, Halloween 2 is indeed happening and is set to begin production this fall. Curtis will, of course, be reprising her iconic role as Laurie Strode, while Judy Greer and Andi Matichak will also be back to play her daughter and granddaughter, respectively.

David Gordon Green, who directed and co-wrote last year’s Halloween along with Danny McBride and Jeff Fradley, wrote the script for the sequel and is being eyed for a return to the director’s chair as well. It’s unclear as to what happened to the screenplay Scott Teems was reportedly working on earlier this year.

Last year’s Halloween was initially intended to be a one-off (the first synopsis for the film described it as Laurie Strode’s “final confrontation” with Michael Myers), but with it’s $255 million worldwide box office haul and open-ended conclusion, a sequel seemed all but likely to happen.

Halloween 2 is expected to hit theaters on October 16, 2020. We’ll bring you the official announcement from Blumhouse as soon as it comes across our desk.

Continue Reading

Movie News

Paul Thomas Anderson and Thom Yorke’s short film ‘Anima’ is coming to Netflix next week

Published

on

Paul Thomas Anderson Anima
MATT WINKELMEYER/GETTY IMAGES

“In a short musical film directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, Thom Yorke of Radiohead scores and stars in a mind-bending visual piece. Best played loud.”

That’s the incredibly intriguing official logline for Anima, the latest and rather unexpected collaboration between director Paul Thomas Anderson and Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke, which is set to be released along with Yorke’s upcoming album of the same name later this month.

Despite the teaser trailer released by Netflix today, we still don’t know a whole lot about Anima other than the fact that it’s being described as a “one-reeler,” an outdated industry term that refers to “a motion picture, especially a cartoon or comedy, of 10-12 minutes duration and contained on one reel of film; popular especially in the era of silent films.”

This whole thing is beyond exciting (to say the least), especially given the surprise nature of it all, and although it hasn’t even been two years since we got the lush masterpiece that is Phantom Thread, it certainly feels like we’re long overdue for some new PTA and Anima seems like it’ll be just what we need to hold us over until his next feature.

Anima will hit select IMAX theaters (!) and Netflix on June 26 and 27, respectively.

Continue Reading