Martin Scorsese is producing a 'gritty and grounded' origin story of The Joker sans Jared Leto
Connect with us

Movie News

Martin Scorsese is producing a ‘gritty and grounded’ origin story of The Joker sans Jared Leto

Published

on

OK, well in a bit of rather unexpected, yet interesting news, our friends over at Deadline have shared a pretty big scoop revealing that Warner Bros. and DC are in the early stages of developing a new origin story surrounding the iconic Joker character, and there are some pretty big names already attached to the project.

According to the original report, the studio has enlisted the help of Todd Phillips, perhaps best known for having directed The Hangover, who will be at the helm of the Joker movie and is co-writing the script alongside 8 Mile scribe Scott Silver. Here’s where things start to get really interesting though: Martin Scorsese is producing.

Indeed, the visionary director will have a producer credit on what is described as a “gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-’80s Gotham City that isn’t meant to feel like a DC movie s much as one of Scorsese’s films from that era like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King of Comedy,” which is pretty much the only thing that’s really capturing my attention at this point.

We’re not too sure what prompted the studio to make a move such as this one, especially when given the fact that literally no one was asking for this. I mean, sure, it’s cool that Scorsese is on board, and I like that Jared Leto won’t be reprising his role for this particular movie, but what else is there to this? We don’t need an origin story for the Joker.

Sound off in the comments section and let me know your thoughts.

Advertisement
Comments

Movie News

Audiences want to see a new ‘Back to the Future’ movie the most, results of a new survey find

Published

on

Back to the Future
UNIVERSAL PICTURES

According to a new survey conducted by The Hollywood Reporter and Morning Consult, the film franchise that Americans want to see a new movie from the most is Robert Zemeckis’ iconic Back to the Future series, which concluded 29 years ago with Back to the Future Part III in 1990.

The survey polled 2,201 adults between November 8 and November 11, with 71% saying they want to see Michael J. Fox’s Marty McFly and Christopher Lloyd’s Doc Brown take the time-traveling Delorean out for another spin. However, Zemeckis has previously said that Back to the Future fans shouldn’t get their hopes up for another sequel.

Another franchise that polled well was Disney/Pixar’s Toy Story, which trailed close behind Back to the Future with 69% of surveyees saying they would like to see another installment in the animated franchise. Luckily for them, the long-awaited sequel Toy Story 4 is due out in theaters next summer and already has an official trailer.

Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park also performed well on the survey and came in at 68% and 67% respectively, while Shrek wasn’t too far off with 65%. Indiana Jones 5 and Jurassic World 3 are both expected to hit theaters in 2021, and a Shrek reboot was recently announced as being in development at Universal.

Among the franchises that underperformed were Star Wars and Avengers, coming in at 63% and 57% respectively, which Morning Consult vice president Tyler Sinclair says is evidence that audiences are more likely to watch a new installment in a franchise that has been dormant rather than one that is currently active.

“There’s a strong consumer demand for movie reboots and sequels, which spells good news for movie studios looking to capitalize on that nostalgic feeling,” Sinclair said.

Continue Reading

Movie News

‘Once Upon a Deadpool’ trailer reveals the holiday-themed PG-13 ‘Deadpool 2’ re-release

Published

on

Once Upon a Deadpool
20TH CENTURY FOX

20th Century Fox has released the official trailer for Once Upon a Deadpool, the upcoming holiday-themed PG-13 re-release of Deadpool 2. The film will open in theaters for a limited engagement from December 12 through December 24 and won’t feature any of the graphic violence or adult-themed humor seen in the original R-rated theatrical cut.

Indeed, Once Upon a Deadpool is “the Merc with the Mouth’s reimagining of Deadpool 2 filtered through the prism of childlike innocence” and finds The Princess Bride star Fred Savage joining Ryan Reynolds‘ titular anti-hero to pay homage to his role in the 1987 bedtime-story classic in new scenes shot for the re-release.

“Fox has been asking for a PG-13 basically since the start in 2006,” Reynolds told Deadline. “I’ve said no since 2006. Now, this one time, I said ‘Yes’ on two conditions. First, a portion of the proceeds had to go to charity. Second, I wanted to kidnap Fred Savage. The second condition took some explaining…”

For every ticket sold, Fox will donate $1 to the charity Fuck Cancer, a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit dedicated to cancer prevention and providing emotional support and guidance to cancer patients and their families. The organization agreed to temporarily change their name to “Fudge Cancer” to be more PG-13 friendly for the release of Once Upon a Deadpool.

“While my participation in this film was anything but voluntary, I am happy to learn that Fudge Cancer will be the beneficiary of this shameless cash grab,” Savage remarked.

You can check out the trailer for Once Upon a Deadpool below.

Continue Reading

Movie News

WarnerMedia announces the Criterion Channel in the wake of the shuttering of FilmStruck

Published

on

Criterion Channel
CRITERION CHANNEL

The Criterion Collection and WarnerMedia announced Friday that they will be launching the Criterion Channel, a free-standing streaming service that will debut in the spring of 2019 and offer a vast library of Criterion films to subscribers for a monthly fee. The news comes just weeks after WarnerMedia revealed that they would be shutting down FilmStruck, a similar streaming service from Turner Classics Movies, on November 29.

“The Criterion Channel will be picking up where FilmStruck left off, with thematic programming, regular filmmaker spotlights, and actor retrospectives, featuring major classics and hard-to-find discoveries from Hollywood and around the world, complete with special features like commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage and original documentaries,” a statement from Criterion and WarnerMedia reads.

The two companies said that the Criterion Collection will also be part of WarnerMedia’s forthcoming direct-to-consumer streaming service, which will offer content from other Warner-owned properties like HBO and Turner. The service is expected to become available near the end of 2019.

“The Criterion Channel will continue to produce their guest programmer series, Adventures in Moviegoing, which has already featured such cinephile luminaries as Barry Jenkins, Guillermo del Toro, Bill Hader, and Mira Nair. Criterion’s monthly 15-minute film school, Observations on Film Art, Tuesday’s Short + Feature, and the Friday double-bill will all be back as well,” the statement added.

In response to the shuttering of FilmStruck, more than 20 filmmakers and actors, including del Toro, Christopher Nolan, Paul Thomas Anderson, Alfonso Cuarón, and Leonardo DiCaprio, rallied behind the streaming service and signed an open letter asking WarnerMedia to reverse their decision. A Change.org petition also calling for FilmStruck to be saved has received more than 55,000 signatures.

Continue Reading