MoviePass, the financially troubled movie theater subscription service that has been burning through more than $20 million per month in an apparent attempt to shake up the film industry, announced a new subscription plan and business model Monday that will go into effect as soon as next week.
According to a press release issued this morning, MoviePass will be keeping its monthly subscription rate of $9.95 per month rather than the previously announced $14.95 per month. The company also says it will be suspending peak pricing and ticket verification for subscribers who have migrated to the new plan.
However, the bad news is that MoviePass subscribers on the $9.95 a month plan will no longer have access to unlimited movies—it’s now three movies a month and up to a $5.00 discount for any additional movie tickets customers wish to purchase.
“Because only 15 percent of MoviePass members see four or more movies a month, we expect that the new subscription model will have no impact whatsoever on over 85 percent of our subscribers,” the company said in a statement.
Mitch Lowe, the CEO of MoviePass, says that despite the many challenges the company has faced over the months, he believes the new plan is a way for both MoviePass and its customers to continue moving forward and “returning moviegoing to everyone’s financial reach.”
“As is true with any new company, we’ve evolved to accommodate what has become an unprecedented phenomenon,” Lowe said. “We are now creating a framework to provide the vast majority of subscribers with what they want most; low cost, value, variety, and broad availability and to bring some moderation to the small number of subscribers who imposed undue cost on the system by viewing a disproportionately large number of movies.”
MoviePass says that monthly subscribers will be given the opportunity to subscribe to the new $9.95 a month plan when their current plans comes up for renewal beginning next week. Annual subscribers will not be affected until their renewal dates.
‘The Call of the Wild’ trailer finds Harrison Ford, his dog embarking on an epic adventure
20th Century Fox has released the trailer for The Call of the Wild, the first live-action effort from Lilo & Stitch and How to Train Your Dragon director Chris Sanders starring Harrison Ford.
Based on the novel by Jack London, The Call of the Wild chronicles the story of Buck, a dog whose life is turned upside down when he’s uprooted from his California home and taken to the exotic wilds of the Alaskan Yukon where he meets John Thornton (Ford), a seasoned gold prospector, during the Klondike Gold Rush in the 1890s.
Michael Green scripted the film, which is produced by Erwin Stoff, with Diana Pokorny serving as executive producer and Ryan Stafford co-producing.
The Call of the Wild hits theaters February 1.
Contest: Enter to win ‘Angel Has Fallen’ on Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment
Lionsgate Home Entertainment will release Angel Has Fallen on Blu-ray/DVD on November 26 and it’s giving Silver Screen Beat readers a chance to win a Blu-ray combo pack (plus DVD and digital) of the film.
Our readers can click this link right now to enter to win an Angel Has Fallen combo pack, which includes several behind the scenes featurettes and a 3-part audio commentary with director Ric Roman Waugh.
The contest is currently ongoing and will end Sunday, November 24, at which point winners will be selected and notified. Below is the official trailer for Angel Has Fallen as well as some additional details about the film.
Directed by: Ric Roman Waugh
Cast: Gerard Butler, Morgan Freeman, Alan Siegel, Matt O’Toole, John Thompson, Les Weldon, Yariv Lerner, and Mike Touzard
Rating: R for violence and language throughout
4K UHD / BLU-RAY / DVD / DIGITAL SPECIAL FEATURES
- “Even Angels Fall: The Story” Featurette
- “Someone to Watch Over Me: New Blood” Featurette
- “Calling All Angels: Casting” Featurette
- “True Faith: Authenticity” Featurette
- “Fight for You: Stunts and Action” Featurette
- “Earth Angel: Recreating DC” Featurette
- “Angel Declassified” 3-Part Audio Commentary with Director Ric Roman Waugh
Paramount taps ‘Fargo’ creator Noah Hawley to write, direct next installment in ‘Star Trek’ series
Fresh off the release of his feature directorial debut Lucy in the Sky last month, Noah Hawley has been set to write and direct the upcoming next installment in the Star Trek franchise, according to Deadline.
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, and the rest of the principal cast are all expected to return for Star Trek 4, which Hawley will also produce for his 26 Keys banner along with JJ Abrams and Bad Robot.
The film is not in any way related to the R-rated spinoff Abrams and Quentin Tarantino have been developing with writer Mark L. Smith and will serve as a direct sequel to 2016’s Star Trek Beyond.
S.J. Clarkson had been attached to direct Star Trek 4 as recently as last year and was poised to become the first woman to helm a film in the sci-fi series but reportedly parted ways with the project after development stalled in mid-2018.
Hawley — perhaps best known for his work on FX series such as Fargo and Legion — recently made his directorial debut with the Natalie Portman-led drama Lucy in the Sky, which tanked at the domestic box office amid harsh reviews from critics.
Production on Star Trek 4 is expected to get underway in 2020.