It’s certainly no secret that Solo: A Star Wars Story turned into an absolute mess last summer when directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller left the production with just three and a half weeks of shooting due to creative differences they had with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and screenwriter-producer Lawrence Kasdan.
The news of Lord and Miller’s departure was shocking, to say the least, and Kennedy had to scramble to find a replacement for the duo in order to meet a strict deadline. Soon enough, Lucasfilm announced that Ron Howard had signed on to take over directing duties on Solo and that filming would resume just a few weeks later.
“I know Chris and Phil. They’re incredibly talented guys, and all anyone at Imagine Entertainment wants to do is find a way to work with Chris and Phil, and that’s every bit as much the case today as ever,” Howard told Entertainment Weekly. “But when I learned that this change was happening, it just came in a moment where I was working on lots of new projects for Imagine, and I had not planned to direct anything last year. So then this came my way, and I was talking to Kathy, and the now tragically late Alli Shearmur, an old friend. I was reluctant, but I also began to feel that I could help.”
He continued, “It’s disappointing that any company ever feels like they have to make a change like that. It’s rough on everybody and disappointing for everybody, and I’ve just tried to come in and — of course, Phil and Chris’s fingerprints are all over the movie, given how much they put into it and the time they put into it. I hope fans won’t even think about how the movie was made. They should just lose themselves in it.”
It’s still questionable as to why Lord and Miller never addressed their creative differences with Kennedy and Kasdan sooner and vice versa, but it’s too late for that now. What’s done is done, and it should be interesting to see what Howard has put together with Solo: A Star Wars Story, which stars Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Thandie Newton, and Joonas Suotamo, when the film hits theaters on May 25.
Netflix releases a stunning first trailer for Alfonso Cuarón’s black-and-white family drama ‘Roma’
Ahead of the film’s debut at the 2018 Venice Film Festival, Netflix has released the stunning first trailer for Oscar-winning director Alfonso Cuarón’s black-and-white drama Roma, which is also set to play at the New York Film Festival and Toronto International Film Festival in the coming months.
Roma is set in Mexico City in the early 1970s and follows Cleo (Yalitza Aparicio), a young domestic worker for a family in the middle-class neighborhood of Roma in Mexico City. Delivering an artful love letter to the women who raised him, Cuarón draws on his own childhood to create a vivid and emotional portrait of domestic strife and social hierarchy amidst the political turmoil of the 1970s.
“Ninety percent of the scenes represented in the film are scenes taken out of my memory,” Cuarón told IndieWire last month. “Sometimes directly, sometimes a bit more obliquely. It’s about a moment of time that shaped me, but also a moment of time that shaped a country. It was the beginning of a long transition in Mexico.”
After its run on the festival circuit later this year, Netflix will release Roma in theaters and on its streaming service in December. You can check out the trailer for the film below.
Disney has no plans to reinstate James Gunn as director of ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’
Despite the strong support of nearly 400,000 fans via a Change.org petition and an open letter from the Guardians of the Galaxy cast themselves, Disney and Marvel have no plans to rehire James Gunn as the director of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 following his firing last month.
Variety reports that Gunn and Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn recently met to discuss the firing, which came after old, offensive tweets the filmmaker wrote nearly a decade ago began to resurface as part of a smear campaign led by right-wing blogger and conspiracy theorist Mike Cernovich.
While the meeting was described as “civil and professional,” Horn only decided to take the meeting “as a courtesy to clear the air with Gunn” and was not considering giving him a second chance, despite the pleas of Gunn’s agents. Sources with insider knowledge say Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige was out of town at the time of the meeting and was unable to attend, but supports Horn’s decision not to reinstate Gunn.
Earlier this month, the Guardians cast, including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Karen Gillan, Sean Gunn, Pom Klementieff, and Michael Rooker, all signed an open letter in support of Gunn, who was set to begin production on the third installment in the critically acclaimed franchise early next year.
Bautista has been particularly vocal about Gunn’s firing on social media, writing in one tweet that he will do what he is contractually obligated to do with Disney, but “Guardians without James Gunn is not what I signed up for” and that “it’s also pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists.”
Guardians 3 is scheduled to be released May 1, 2020, but, depending on how long it takes Disney and Marvel to find a replacement for Gunn, that date could, and will most likely, change.
YouTube forced to remove ‘The Nun’ jump-scare ad after getting complaints from terrified users
On Monday, YouTube announced that it had removed a video advertisement for The Nun, the upcoming next installment in The Conjuring franchise, for being in violation of their shocking content policy. However, it appears the ad in question only came to the video-sharing site’s attention after scaring the bejesus out of some very unsuspecting users.
“Warning! If you see an ad on YouTube with the volume sign being turned down and nothing else, it’s a jump-scare for The Nun movie coming out,” one Twitter user wrote last week. “I advise you look away and or turn down the volume if you have anxiety or just straight up hate jump-scares.”
Just a few days later, the official Twitter account for Team YouTube responded to the tweet, which has been retweeted more than 136,000 times since Sunday, saying that the advertisement was no longer running on their ad network.
The ad isn’t gone altogether from YouTube, though, as it has been reuploaded to the platform by dozens of users, one of which says they were “shook” after seeing the six-second clip at 3 a.m. one night. It begins with a volume icon going up and down against a black background before a horrifying, shrieking demonic-looking nun appears out of nowhere.
If you’re brave enough, you can check out the ad for yourself below. Don’t say we didn’t warn you, though.