Sandra Oh, Andy Samberg to host 2019 Golden Globe Awards - Silver Screen Beat
Connect with us

Movie News

Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg to co-host the 2019 Golden Globe Awards next month

Published

on

Sandra Oh Andy Samberg Golden Globe Awards
KEVIN WINTER/GETTY IMAGES

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced Wednesday that they have tapped Killing Eve star Sandra Oh and Brooklyn Nine-Nine star Andy Samberg to co-host the 76th Annual Golden Globe Awards next month.

The Golden Globes, often referred to as “Hollywood’s Party of the Year,” will air live as a three-hour telecast on NBC on Sunday, January 6 at 8:00 p.m./5 p.m. PT from The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California.

“Sandra and Andy are the perfect choices to host this world-class event,” NBC Entertainment co-chairmen Paul Telegdy and George Cheeks said in a statement. “They bring wit, charm, and style to a room filled with the very best of film and television. It’s sure to be another unforgettable fun-filled night.”

Voted on by the HFPA, a non-profit organization of international journalists and photographers covering the entertainment beat, the Globes signal the official kick-off to awards season each year and hand out awards in 25 different categories for film and television.

“We’re excited to welcome Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg as co-hosts of Hollywood’s Party of the Year,” added HFPA president Meher Tatna. “Both Golden Globe Award recipients have continually showcased their talents in film and television, and we can’t wait to see what their undeniable chemistry will bring to the Golden Globes stage.”

Both co-hosts are previous Golden Globe winners. Oh picked up a Globe in 2006 for her performance as Dr. Cristina Yang on Grey’s Anatomy, while Samberg is a two-time Globe winner for Brooklyn Nine-Nine, having won for both his acting and producing roles on the hit comedy series.

Advertisement
Comments

Movie News

Woody Allen just self-released the trailer for ‘A Rainy Day in New York’ on his Facebook page

Published

on

A Rainy Day in New York trailer Elle Fanning and Timothee Chalamet
SPLASHNEWSONLINE

It was once thought that Woody Allen’s A Rainy Day in New York, the film at the center of the director’s $68 million lawsuit against Amazon, would never see the light of day given the rise of the #MeToo movement and renewed attention towards the sexual abuse accusations made against Allen by his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow.

However, that no longer seems to be the case as a trailer for A Rainy Day in New York popped up on yesterday Allen’s official Facebook page, revealing our first look at the film starring Timothée Chalamet and Elle Fanning as a young couple who arrive in New York City to spend a weekend together.

It wasn’t up until January of last year, though, that literally almost everybody involved with this project slowly began to distance themselves from it, with many of the film’s stars donating their salaries to charity and Amazon Studios shelving the movie indefinitely.

This, of course, did not bode well with Allen, prompting him to take Amazon to New York federal court, where he’s asking for a $68 million payday in a case that is still pending.

Now, on one hand, I applaud Amazon for taking such great lengths to distance themselves from an accused child molester and all-around creep like Woody Allen. On the other hand, though, I say fuck them for even getting into business with an accused child molester and all-around creep like Woody Allen in the first place.

Amazon could’ve avoided this whole situation had they not signed a multi-million dollar five-picture deal with Allen to begin with, especially after he made that god-awful Crisis in Six Scenes miniseries for them a few years ago.

Case in point: don’t work with Woody Allen under any circumstances, folks.

Anyway, a couple of overseas distributors have said that they’re willing to release Allen’s movie despite his questionable past and the sexual abuse allegations against him, hence this new trailer for A Rainy Day in New York, which you can check out below:

Continue Reading

Movie News

Oh god, the cast of Mel Gibson’s very unnecessary remake of ‘The Wild Bunch’ is actually pretty good

Published

on

Mel Gibson The Wild Bunch cast
GETTY IMAGES

As if I wasn’t already Mad Online™ enough today, Deadline has broken the news that Michael Fassbender, Jamie Foxx, and Peter Dinklage are all in talks to join the cast of Mel Gibson‘s remake of Sam Peckinpah’s 1969 Western classic The Wild Bunch.

Gibson is co-writing the movie along with Bryan Bagby, who has not had a credit on any film since 2000’s L.I.N.X. (whatever the fuck that is), in addition to executive producing. It’s his first directing effort since 2016’s Hacksaw Ridge.

Now, don’t get me wrong—Fassbender, Foxx, and Dinklage are all incredible actors in their own right. The problem here, though, isn’t them. It’s the fact that I don’t think a movie like The Wild Bunch needs to be remade in any capacity whatsoever, especially not by the likes of Mel Gibson.

As we’ve pointed out on this site several times before and will continue to do so every time Gibson’s name comes up, the dude has a troubling history that includes domestic abuse, homophobia, and racist and anti-Semitic tirades. If you need to be reminded of all of the terrible shit he’s said over the years, check out this list compiled by Gawker.

The fact that Gibson is able to just disappear from the spotlight for a few years, come back, and suddenly be able to find all of the work that he’s finding is absolutely astonishing. Warner Bros. really couldn’t get another, less problematic director to helm this project? Like, literally anybody other than Mel Gibson?

Anyway, no word yet on when The Wild Bunch is set to be released, but production on the projection is expected to get underway this fall, so it seems likely we’ll be seeing this thing by sometime next year at the earliest.

Continue Reading

Movie News

Nicolas Cage is going to star in a ‘hardcore cop thriller’ written by the dude who wrote ‘Green Book’

Published

on

Nicolas Cage
RICH POLK/GETTY IMAGES

You all remember Nick Vallelonga, the Oscar-winning Green Book screenwriter and producer who deleted his Twitter account last year after old tweets of his resurfaced in which he pushed Donald Trump’s debunked claim that Muslims could be seen cheering in New Jersey on 9/11, right?

Well, in a bit of rather unfortunate news, IndieWire is reporting that Vallelonga is partnering with none other than Nicolas Cage on his next project, 10 Double Zero, which is described as a “hardcore cop thriller that mixes the grittiness of old school Michael Mann with the cutting-edge style of Sicario.” Yeah, let that sink in for a minute.

Per the film’s official synopsis: “Set in the stifling heat of Louisiana, two police officers take on a personal vendetta to hunt down cop killers, but as they get closer to solving the crime, they find themselves targets of a conspiracy in the ranks of the police force as the investigation leads right back to them.”

Heh, a conspiracy, you say? Vallelonga seems to know a thing or two about those.

Anyway, on a serious note, is this the punishment the world gets for sleeping on the hypnotic masterpiece that was Mandy last year, which features what is arguably the best performance we’ve ever seen from Nicolas Cage? Is this what we get for giving a dude who pushes racist bullshit on social media a bunch of Oscars earlier this year?

I mean, come on. Anything other than this shit.

Continue Reading