'Solo: A Star Wars Story' synopsis teases the story behind one of the galaxy's greatest scoundrels - Silver Screen Beat
Connect with us

Movies

‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ synopsis teases the story behind one of the galaxy’s greatest scoundrels

Published

on

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Is it just me or does it seem a bit strange that a new Star Wars movie is scheduled to be released in just four months and we’ve hardly seen any marketing for the damn thing? I don’t mean to sound pessimistic, but I’m certainly a bit concerned about what’s going on behind the scenes over at Lucasfilm with Solo: A Star Wars Story.

That being said, Walt Disney Pictures released their annual preview kit today, which highlights all of the upcoming releases the studio has coming in 2018, and the studio confirmed that Solo: A Star Wars Story is still, in fact, coming out this May, and they even included a long-awaited official synopsis for the film.

“Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy,” the synopsis reads. “Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.”

Advertisement

While the synopsis doesn’t necessarily reveal all of the juicy plot details we were hoping it would, it provides a glimmer of hope for this troubled project of a film that has hit a couple of roadblocks over the past few months, including losing two directors last summer in Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who decided to step down due to creative differences with Lucasfilm studio head Kathleen Kennedy.

Solo: A Star Wars Story features an all-star cast that includes Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, and Joonas Suotamo, and will open in theaters on May 25. Let us know your thoughts on the film’s official synopsis by leaving a comment down below.

Advertisement
Comments

Movie Trailers

Netflix releases a stunning first trailer for Alfonso Cuarón’s black-and-white family drama ‘Roma’

Published

on

Roma
NETFLIX

Ahead of the film’s debut at the 2018 Venice Film Festival, Netflix has released the stunning first trailer for Oscar-winning director Alfonso Cuarón’s black-and-white drama Roma, which is also set to play at the New York Film Festival and Toronto International Film Festival in the coming months.

Roma is set in Mexico City in the early 1970s and follows Cleo (Yalitza Aparicio), a young domestic worker for a family in the middle-class neighborhood of Roma in Mexico City. Delivering an artful love letter to the women who raised him, Cuarón draws on his own childhood to create a vivid and emotional portrait of domestic strife and social hierarchy amidst the political turmoil of the 1970s.

Advertisement

“Ninety percent of the scenes represented in the film are scenes taken out of my memory,” Cuarón told IndieWire last month. “Sometimes directly, sometimes a bit more obliquely. It’s about a moment of time that shaped me, but also a moment of time that shaped a country. It was the beginning of a long transition in Mexico.”

After its run on the festival circuit later this year, Netflix will release Roma in theaters and on its streaming service in December. You can check out the trailer for the film below.

Continue Reading

Movies

Disney has no plans to reinstate James Gunn as director of ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’

Published

on

James Gunn
CHRISTOPHER POLK/GETTY IMAGES

Despite the strong support of nearly 400,000 fans via a Change.org petition and an open letter from the Guardians of the Galaxy cast themselves, Disney and Marvel have no plans to rehire James Gunn as the director of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 following his firing last month.

Variety reports that Gunn and Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn recently met to discuss the firing, which came after old, offensive tweets the filmmaker wrote nearly a decade ago began to resurface as part of a smear campaign led by right-wing blogger and conspiracy theorist Mike Cernovich.

While the meeting was described as “civil and professional,” Horn only decided to take the meeting “as a courtesy to clear the air with Gunn” and was not considering giving him a second chance, despite the pleas of Gunn’s agents. Sources with insider knowledge say Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige was out of town at the time of the meeting and was unable to attend, but supports Horn’s decision not to reinstate Gunn.

Advertisement

Earlier this month, the Guardians cast, including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Karen Gillan, Sean Gunn, Pom Klementieff, and Michael Rooker, all signed an open letter in support of Gunn, who was set to begin production on the third installment in the critically acclaimed franchise early next year.

Bautista has been particularly vocal about Gunn’s firing on social media, writing in one tweet that he will do what he is contractually obligated to do with Disney, but “Guardians without James Gunn is not what I signed up for” and that “it’s also pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists.”

Guardians 3 is scheduled to be released May 1, 2020, but, depending on how long it takes Disney and Marvel to find a replacement for Gunn, that date could, and will most likely, change.

Continue Reading

Movies

YouTube forced to remove ‘The Nun’ jump-scare ad after getting complaints from terrified users

Published

on

The Nun Conjuring 2 YouTube
WARNER BROS.

On Monday, YouTube announced that it had removed a video advertisement for The Nun, the upcoming next installment in The Conjuring franchise, for being in violation of their shocking content policy. However, it appears the ad in question only came to the video-sharing site’s attention after scaring the bejesus out of some very unsuspecting users.

“Warning! If you see an ad on YouTube with the volume sign being turned down and nothing else, it’s a jump-scare for The Nun movie coming out,” one Twitter user wrote last week. “I advise you look away and or turn down the volume if you have anxiety or just straight up hate jump-scares.”

Advertisement

Just a few days later, the official Twitter account for Team YouTube responded to the tweet, which has been retweeted more than 136,000 times since Sunday, saying that the advertisement was no longer running on their ad network.

The ad isn’t gone altogether from YouTube, though, as it has been reuploaded to the platform by dozens of users, one of which says they were “shook” after seeing the six-second clip at 3 a.m. one night. It begins with a volume icon going up and down against a black background before a horrifying, shrieking demonic-looking nun appears out of nowhere.

If you’re brave enough, you can check out the ad for yourself below. Don’t say we didn’t warn you, though.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement