A 4-year-old boy was found after spending 6 days lost in the African bush.


After wandering over 10 miles from his Kenyan home during a storm, a 4-year old boy was safely returned home to his family. According to a Kenya wildlife nonprofit, he had been living in the African bush for six days, among jackals, hyenas and heavy rains.

“Their son has fully recovered and is out playing with his friends,”Roan Carr-Hartley (22 years old), is a volunteer pilot for a non-profit. Sheldrick Wildlife Trust who helped in the boy’s rescue.

Carr-Hartley revealed that last week the nonprofit was called by Asa’s chief, a village located 30 miles from Tsavo East Park in Kenya. The chief explained that the boy had been out herding livestock with his brothers during a storm and went missing, and the chief hoped a pilot from the nonprofit could support their search by air.

Carr-Hartley flew the next morning to join the search party, along with about 70 other men who had been following the boy since days.

“Four hours of scanning the sea of vegetation revealed nothing but an empty fuel tank and various animals, including hyenas and jackals,”According to a press release, Carr-Hartley was recalled. “It was an unforgiving environment for any person to be alone, let alone a child so young.”

He rejoined the search party several days later, when the chief told him the search party, who had been out looking for the 4-year-old for three days straight, rediscovered the boy’s tracks, and requested his assistance by air once again. “I was in shock that the boy was still alive, let alone walking,”He said.

Carr-Hartley finally spotted the boy near shrubs after more than an hour spent trying to spot him from the sky. He had no way of communicating with the search party, and worried that if he landed the plane to reach the boy by foot, he would once again lost sight of him, so instead, Carr-Hartley circled the plane tightly above the boy until the search party were alerted to the boy’s location.

“They eventually got to the boy, who was frozen still in disbelief that his ordeal was over,” Carr-Hartley said. “Upon reaching him, they lifted him above their shoulders and began cheering and chanting.”

Carr-Hartley landed his plane nearer to the village, so the search party took the boy over 10 miles.

“When I showed his mother the photos of her boy, she broke down into tears. She couldn’t believe he was still alive and was flooded with emotion, as one can imagine,”He said.

After being treated by two doctors nearby, the boy quickly recovered and was able to eat again.  

Share this article

Recent posts

Popular categories

Recent comments