After a hoverboard battery explodes into a fireball, Mum was left fighting for her life.

0
308

WARNING: DISTRESSING VIDEO: Video taken from a home surveillance camera shows Jacqueline Barrett’s living area in Smethwick as the battery spews its molten contents, setting her home on fire.

Video Loading

Video not available

Mum in coma after she rides a hoverboard

This horrifying video shows the moment a hoverboard battery exploded. It ignited a massive firestorm that left a mother fighting for her life in an induced coma.

Jacqueline Barrett (54), was in a coma following the explosion of her device while it was charging, just feet from her bedroom, on Saturday.

Video from a security camera at home shows the lithium-ion battery quickly lighting the living room by spewing its molten contents.

Jacqueline, a patient with multiple sclerosis, heart problems and bedbound, was taken to hospital by her husband after the fire destroyed her property in Smethwick West Mids.

Shane Johnson (34), her son, has released today footage of the dramatic explosion as a warning to others about charging their electrical devices.

Shane, his mother’s caregiver, stated: “It’s awful. My mum’s really ill in hospital. The fire and smoke damage to the house is just unbelievable.

“Moments after the explosion, Mum called me to tell me that there had been an explosion.

“I first called the fire service and then I got in the car to rush to get to her as fast as possible.

“I called my dad and some friends. Some got there before me, and dad had tried to kick the door in to get to mum, but the heat from the fire was just too much.”

He said the shocking incident should act as a warning about leaving things unattended, or plugged in when they’re fully charged.

“It could happen to anyone,” he added.

Crews from West Midlands Fire Service rushed to the scene just after 5pm, to rescue Jacqueline from her downstairs bedroom.

The fire was tackled by five fire engines and one brigade response vehicle. Crewed by nearly 30 firefighters, the crew consisted of almost 30 firefighters.

Jacqueline was taken to the hospital by ambulance after firefighters wearing breathing apparatus found her.

An investigator for fire safety confirmed that the fire started accidentally when the hoverboard was charged inside the house.

Pete Wilson, WMFS Strategic Lead for Prevention described the incident as “horrific”Shane was also thanked for sharing the footage.

“It should send a clear warning to people to take utmost care when charging electrical items. The warning is particularly timely in the run up to Christmas, when we know people will be buying electrical items.

“Always shop at reputable retailers, and ensure that they comply with British safety standards.”

“Our thoughts are with Jacqueline, her family and friends at such a difficult time,” he added.