After not returning home from work, a son found an engineer who had been “crushed to death” by a robotic arm.


Six weeks into his new job at a gardening supplies company, a man was crushed to death by a robot arm.

Andrew Tibbott was 48 years old at the time and was a maintenance technician at Deco-Pak Limited located in Hipperholme just outside Halifax.

After his family was concerned that he hadn’t returned home from work, the married father-of-2 was found dead beneath the machine. His son found him.

Yesterday, a jury at Bradford Crown Court heard that Mr Tibbott was among the last employees on April 14, 2017. Yorkshire Live.

Allan Compton, QC, the Prosecutor, stated that Mr Tibbott was crushed to death from his chest injuries despite paramedics arriving on the scene.

Huddersfield native, Mr Tibbott was believed to have entered the “cell”For cleaning a sensor, place the robotic arm around it.

Compton claimed that “within days”After the machine was installed in April 2015, the company and its senior management had made it impossible for essential safety features to be disabled or bypassed.

Engineer 'crushed to death by robotic arm' found by son after not coming home from work
The trial at Bradford Crown Court is expected last for six weeks

Get the most shocking news and views from around the globe straight to your inbox

We have the top royal scoops, breaking stories and crime dramas – all delivered in the Silver Screen Beat style that you love.

Our newsletters are full of useful information, including hard news and the glamorous bits you need. You can opt out at any time.

Register here and you’ll never regret it.

He added that repeated warnings about the dangers had been ignored and Mr Tibbott’s “wholly avoidable”Failure to plan was the cause of death.

The robotic arm could move at seven meters per second, according to the court.

Deco-Pak Limited denies a charge for corporate manslaughter even though it has already pleaded guilty in breaching its general obligation to employees under the health and safety regulations.

Michael Hall, 64, a managing director from Elland, near Halifax, admitted to the safety and health breach, but denied a charge for manslaughter through gross negligence.

Rodney Slater, another director from Rochdale and 62, denied the same manslaughter allegation as well as the health and safety violation offence.

Compton claimed that two other workers had been injured by robot arms and that one worker had left the firm. According to the worker, these conditions were “as bad as it gets.” “lethal”.

Compton claimed that Deco-Pak did not conduct a risk assessment after installing the automated machinery that killed Mr Tibbott. It also failed to assess the potential risk of using the machine if safety measures were disabled or bypassed.

The trial continues, and it is expected that it will last for approximately six weeks.

Subscribe to our newsletter and receive the latest news from across the world via the Silver Screen Beat. Here.