Alabama Man Resists Life-Threatening Injury After Falling Twice near Waterfall.


An Alabama man sustained serious injuries after two consecutive incidents during a visit to Welcome Falls, According to The Cullen Times local newspaper

The outlet reports that Zac Roden traveled with Candace Siler to show his friend Welcome Falls on June 2, just days before his 21st Birthday. 

Siler claimed that the hike to the creekbed was peaceful. She told the outlet she paused to look at a white sign with red lettering nailed to a tree that read “Warning: Slippery Rocks.”

They reached the falls together and Siler, who was looking for a way back down, told the outlet that Roden lost his footing just moments after Siler warned him about getting too close to the edge.

“When I looked over he had somehow landed on this tiny ledge, I still don’t know how that happened. If he had fallen even a centimeter in either direction he would have missed it,”Siler spoke to the outlet.

According to the outlet, Siler’s efforts to call 911 were squandered by poor cell reception. Roden refused to sit still until she reached Roden. He tried to get up but fell from the ledge.

Roden said to the outlet that his consciousness was very limited and that he doesn’t recall much about the first fall. He just remembers Silas calling him down.

“I just remember seeing light and hearing a voice yelling at me, but that was when I rolled over the ledge,” Roden said.

This second fall was 35 feet, leaving Roden at the bottom of the falls with potentially life-threatening injuries, according to the outlet.

Siler, a former guard, was able safely reach Roden and assess his injuries. According to her, Roden kept claiming he was fine and she didn’t need to call 911.

“I was afraid I was going to be stuck down there, I remember several years ago a guy fell and broke his leg and was out there overnight until they had to airlift him out,” Roden said to the outlet.

“So Candace, even though she had never been there before, made her way down to me and we crawled out. You know just her pushing me a little at a time,” he continued.

“When we finally made it to the car I guess the adrenaline had worn off because I just collapsed and said I’m hurt pretty bad,” Roden said.

According to the outlet, during the tenuous hike back to the car, Roden had three seizures, but was still insisting they go home — Silas shut down his request.

Silas told the outlet she managed to find the highway that led to the hospital in Cullen, telling her friend he had “lost his right to choose to go home.”

After having a collapsed lung re-inflated and spending five days in the UAB’s Intensive Care Unit, Roden was transferred to the Spain Rehab facility for another week and a half, according to The Cullen Times.

In addition to his seven broken ribs and a collapsed lung, Roden’s injuries included a broken neck, hand, sternum, and both sides of his pelvis, according to the outlet.

Roden, a server for Logan’s Steakhouse without health insurance, was recently was able to remove his neck brace but has not been able to return to his job, according to the outlet.

Stephanie Whatley, a friend and fellow victim of the Welcome Falls accident, set up a GoFundMe page for her medical expenses. It has already earned just over $1,000 of its $25,000 goal. 

Whatley was injured in a fall in 1991. She posted the following message on the fundraiser page: “​​As a fellow survivor of a waterfall, I understand some of the mental trauma he is going through.”

According to the outlet a single office visit to treat his hand injury cost him $4,000.

“He will be out of work for 10 to 12 weeks. He has started rehaab but the neck injury and all the chest breaks are the longest to recover from much less all at once,”Whatley posted the following on the GoFundMe site.

“He is recovering with family but could really use help with funds. He needs special equipment for his mobility too.”

Roden and Silas told the outlet that they consider him lucky, even with the financial challenges.

“I mean I’m lucky to be alive. Even the doctors were saying that it was a miracle that I’m even here,”He said.

“It still just blows my mind, people just don’t survive falls like he did,” Silas said.