After a cockroach was allegedly found in a guest’s ear, a hotel is being sued.
According to court records, the shocking incident took place at Sands Ocean Club in Myrtle Beach (South Carolina) and the hotel is being held responsible. “grossly negligent”On several counts, such as failing to inspect for cockroaches or having no pest control service in place, failing to clean the room, and failing to remove them.
Newsweek reportsTodd VanSickle of Glenmont, Ohio, was sleeping in his hotel bed when the cockroach entered his ear.
It woke VanSickle out of his sleep. “causing extreme pain and loss of hearing”According to the lawsuit, he claimed to have suffered disruptions to his daily life at work and home.
VanSickle is taking action against Sands Ocean Club Homeowners Association (SOHA) and Ocean Annie’s Operations Inc (OIA), which owns the hotel.
According to the lawsuit Mr VanSickle is liable for damages. “suffered painful and permanent injuries; has incurred and will continue to incur medical expenses; has suffered and will continue to suffer pain and discomfort; has suffered and will continue to suffer loss of wages and earning capacity”.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the most recent news and stories from around the world from the Silver Screen Beat. Click here Here .
Rentokil states that cockroaches, mice, rats, and flies are the most common pests in hotels.
The company’s UK website says: “Cockroaches are known carriers of diseases such as salmonella, dysentery and gastroenteritis. Exposure to this pest poses significant health risks. Increases in eczema and asthma have even been linked to cockroach droppings.
“Cockroaches are very tough insects and their ability to breed rapidly makes professional treatment essential to control any infestation.
“Only expert products and solutions are powerful enough to eliminate all stages of their lifecycle.”
Newsweek reached out for comment to Sands Ocean Club Homeowners Association (SOC) and Ocean Annie’s Operations Inc (OCO).