Dog bitten in the face by poisonous snake. Owner isn’t responsive


Hollie Serginson, from Lingdale, thought her 16-week-old puppy was going to die after an adder snake bit his face and cost her £1.8k in vet bills – now she’s warning other dog owners

After her dog was bitten by an adder serpent during a walk, the owner of the dog is now warning other walkers.

Labrador cross Rocco rapidly became floppy at Birk Brow, just outside Guisborough Saturday.

Hollie Serginson of Lingdale was worried that she would lose her husband on the 45 minute drive to the nearest emergency veterinarian.

The 16-week-old suffered from swelling in his face but managed to make it through the injections with anti venom.

The puppy is doing well now, but he is still lethargic and needs to be taken home.

Hollie had a £1.8k vet bill for his treatment, but is just thankful he’s on the mend.

Register to our Newsletter TeamDogsGet your weekly doses of news, photos and stories about dogs.

Hollie said: “It was a scary situation I wouldn’t ever want someone else to be in.

“My dad was also there, and Rocco began hissing at the snake. Rocco jumped after being bitten, but didn’t cry or whimper.

“Rocco’s face began to swell immediately, he became floppy and unresponsive rapidly – dad had to drive from the moors to Stockton vets as that was the only out of hours one open.

“My dad thought that he would die during the 45 minute drive, as he was so unwell.

“Rocco was bit on the face and remained in the vets over night on drips and had an antivenom injection amongst a cocktail of pain relief.

“We wanted to make it more visible. Rocco would have been interested in the snake that was positioned in the middle the path walkway.

“Please please be careful when walking your little four legged friends over the moors at this time of year.”

The UK’s only venomous snake, the adder, hibernates between October and March.

They are found all over the country, and they have a distinctive zig-zag pattern on their backs.

Adders are known to keep to themselves and not bite unless they are afraid. Dogs, however, tend to approach them with no fear.

The PDSA states that bites can make a pet dog very sick and can lead to serious health problems, including kidney, liver and heart problems.

Venom can cause death if it is injected directly into the bloodstream.

It is important to keep your dog on a leash and on a path in order to prevent adder bites.

Pet owners are advised to keep calm if their dog has been bitten by a snake.

Call your vet and tell them you’re on your way. Then, take your dog with you to your car.

Do you have an interesting dog story? Contact

Share this article

Recent posts

Popular categories

Recent comments