Dog’s tragic death leaves family devastated

0
123

After their street was allegedly plagued by large rats, a devastated family had to say goodbye to their dog.

Pauline Robertson claims that Coco, her pet, fell ill over Easter weekend and died tragically from seizures.

She believes that her miniature Yorkshire Terrier was infected by the infected rats which have infected the streets of Page Moss, Knowsley, Merseyside.

Pauline claimed that Coco disappeared suddenly “very quiet”She was unable to eat so her family kept her hydrated with a syringe.

According to Liverpool Echo, her condition deteriorated on Easter Monday.

She claimed that she was cuddling Coco at the time. “went stiff”Before experiencing what appeared to be seizures.

The vets informed her that she had contracted leptospirosis, a bacterial infection.



Coco became poorly over Easter
Over Easter, Coco was sick

Leptospirosis is a condition that can cause brain swelling, haemorrhaging, and organ failure. It can also be fatal for humans and dogs.

Coco suffered from kidney and liver disease, and was unable to be treated with antibiotics.

Pauline stated: “The vet told us they could give her antibiotics but that it was a fatal disease. I asked how she got that and they told me it’s caused by rats.

“She was thought to have bitten a rodent, but she didn’t. She was in the shed for a few days last week and I had to keep bringing her out, but there were no cuts or injuries.

“We were told that even if a rat has run across the flags and had a wee and she’s licked it or come across the disease that’s where she caught it from.

“Page Moss has a terrible situation with rats. Rats are being caught in garbage cans and jumping out at people. We don’t have grass; we have flags so it doesn’t seem like our garden is overgrown.



The pooch died after two days of suffering
Two days of pain later, the pooch died.

“Our neighbours are suffering with rats in their house and everyone has been posting on Facebook about the situation. But the bins aren’t being emptied as regularly as they used to. This has been ongoing for years.

“You feel so dirty. They don’t seem to care that these rats are walking down the street.”

Pauline added the death had come as a “Shock” to the whole family as they believed she would “Take antibiotics with you home”.

She added: “Because rats are everywhere, you can’t take your dog anywhere. To get this disease, a dog must only sniff or lick. It’s terrible.

“The vet picked her up and went to get her on antibiotics but they came back through the door to tell us she’d had another seizure and died.”

A spokesperson for Knowsley Council stated: “We are not aware of the details of this specific case or of any reported incidents of Leptospirosis in Knowsley but we offer our sincere condolences to this family on the loss of their much-loved pet.

“Although rats can carry this bacteria there are a number of ways that dogs can catch Leptospirosis including from other infected dogs, from licking or sniffing ground where an infected dog has urinated, from other infected animals ’ urine (cows, pigs or rodents) or from wet ground or rivers and lakes where the bacteria can live.



There has reportedly been a huge issue in the area
The area has been reported to be plagued by a large number of criminals.

Sign up for our newsletter to keep up-to-date with the latest news Here .

“Thankfully this infection is relatively rare in this country and protection against it is offered in routine vaccinations and boosters by vets.

“We are continuing to work with residents, landlords, businesses, and other partners to eliminate any rat infestations at Page Moss.

“This includes sewer baiting, pest control and most recently a full day of action specifically targeting the area, identifying issues that may be contributing to the problems and offering advice to residents about prevention.

“We are aware that some parties continue to allow rodents to shelter in overgrown areas despite all our best efforts.

“This is causing issues for the wider neighbourhood. We are proactively working to tackle this as a priority and those efforts with partners, residents and business will continue.”