Salads are a great summer side or meal, but it’s easy to get into a salad rut. It’s a good thing!Food Network star Giada De Laurentiis has us covered with a salad recipe that’s anything but boring. But first, she reveals the savory ingredient that elevates any dish, including one of her favorite dishes—a refreshing summer salad.
Typically known for her pasta dishes and posting decadent recipes like her spinach dip grilled cheese on social media, De Laurentiis’ spin on this summer salad recipe has us drooling.
On her Instagram, The Giadzy, De Laurentiis writes, “It’s a well-known fact that caramelized onions make everything better, and salad is no exception.”
De Laurentiis is a master at pairing salads with onions and loves to add another ingredient to the mix. A unique combination of grapefruit and caramelized onion takes De Laurentiis’ California-style greens to the next level.
The sweetness and savory flavors of caramelized onions are beautifully balanced with tart lemon and tangy grapefruit notes.
RELATED:Ina Garten adds this surprising ingredient to take her fruit salad to a whole new level
“The deeply flavorful onions + tart ruby red grapefruit makes a delicious contrast of flavors in this beautiful salad,” De Laurentiis adds.
Adding a red wine vinegar dressing to this citrusy salad adds an even bolder, vibrant flavor that’s perfect for summer nights.
Caramelized Onion And Grapefruit Salad Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced thin thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- To taste, add kosher salt to the dish and black pepper
Caramelized Onion And Grapefruit Salad
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 1 head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced or torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- The oil will caramelize onions if you heat it in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until the onions are soft, dark, golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the red wine vinaigrette by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl. Using a whisk, combine the red wine vinegar with the lemon juice and honey. Gently stir in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- The grapefruit should be cut in half. In a large bowl, combine the grapefruit sections. Next, add the lettuce and fennel to a bowl. Toss the salad in the red wine vinaigrette and mix well. Add the caramelized onions to the top. Enjoy.
Suitable as an appetizer or an entree, this luxurious salad studded with pink grapefruit makes a great side dish for lighter fare. With its refreshing, sweet, and tart flavors, this dish goes well with chicken, shrimp, or salmon.