Huge, open doors helped to fuel a massive Bronx fire that killed 8 children and 9 adults


The deadly blaze that ravaged a New York City high-rise was fueled by two malfunctioning doors that should have closed automatically, but instead remained wide open, fire officials said.

Authorities said that Sunday’s Bronx inferno resulted in the deaths of eight children and nine adults, and left 13 others fighting for survival in intensive care. 

Officials claim that an electric space heater lit a mattress and ignited the fire. The flame quickly spread to the door of the apartment.

Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said the apartment’s front door and another on the 15th floor should have been self-closing and helped to block smoke, but the doors stayed fully open.

Residents were forced to close their windows because toxic smoke was rising from the 19-story apartment block. 

The Fire Department of New York posted a tweet warning residents about open doors in home fires.

“Closing the door behind you when escaping the fire will trap the fire, prevent it from spreading and save lives,”This message is to be appreciated.

Share this article

Recent posts

Popular categories

Recent comments