Ajax confirmed on Sunday night that Marc Overmars has left his position as director of football with immediate effect after admitting he sent inappropriate messages to female colleagues.
The former Netherlands winger had been in the role since 2012 and was contracted to the Amsterdam giants until 2026 after recently signing a new deal.
However, his time at Ajax has come to an abrupt end and the Eredivise club released a statement on Sunday revealing some of the details that triggered his departure.
“I am ashamed,” said Overmars in the bulletin on the club website.
“Last week I was confronted with reports about my behaviour. And how this has come across to others. Unfortunately, I didn’t realise that I was crossing the line with this, but that was made clear to me in recent days.
“I suddenly felt enormous pressure. I apologise. Certainly for someone in my position, this behaviour is unacceptable.
“I now see that too. But it is too late. I see no other option but to leave Ajax. This also has a major impact on my private situation. That is why I ask everyone to leave me and my family alone.”
Arsenal and Newcastle fans – would you still welcome Overmars to your club? Let us know in the comments section.
Board chairman Leen Meijaard was also quoted in the statement and reflected on the “dramatic situation.”
“It is devastating for the women who have had to deal with the behaviour,” he added. “When we heard news of this, we immediately acted, carefully deliberating and weighing what was the best thing to do – all in consultation with CEO Edwin van der Sar and assisted by an external expert.”
Meanwhile, Overmars’ former team-mate Van der Sar said the events were “appalling” and affirmed that “a safe working climate is very important for everyone at Ajax.”