Mum ran from shopping centre to be reunited and killed by her ex-husband.


Cherie Rangeley, 45 years old, claimed she tried to take her own life after hearing about the murder of Paige, 10-year-old, by her ex. She had deliberately set fire to a Hull house.

A distraught mother was left in a coma following her jump from the second floor in a shopping center in an effort to be reunited and died.

Cherie Rangeley, 45 years old, claimed she tried to end her life after learning the details about how her ex deliberately set fire to her house and killed Paige, 10-years-old.

Hull’s Cherie had just completed an inquest into Paige’s death, when she tried to end her own life. Hull Live reports.

Garry Bolton locked Paige in the home with him, as the fire raged. Ian Sprakes, assistant coroner, ruled.

Both died in the fire shortly before midnight on January 25, 2020.

Cherie, who suffered from alcoholism since the terrible tragedy, stated that she fell apart after the August inquest.

“I tried to kill myself,” Cherie said. “I jumped from the second floor of St Stephen’s and ended up in a coma for a short while.

“I smashed my hip and knee as a result and I still have to use a wheel chair most of the time.

“I just wanted to be with Paige. It will sound strange to some people but I felt Paige was calling me.

“I had what seemed like a vision and Paige was there saying ‘come with me’.

“Luckily, I survived. I know I now need to find a way to move on and stop trying to hurt myself.”

Cherie previously told Hull Live of her struggles to deal with what happened.

“I nearly died because of all this as it tipped me over the edge,”She said it back in August.

“I started to drink and ended in hospital. But I haven’t drank now for around ten months.”

Despite the conclusion into the inquest, Cherie has not got the answers she hoped for.

“For Paige it wasn’t suicide, Garry murdered my little girl,” she said.

“There is no closure really. He didn’t have to take my little girl. If you want to kill yourself then fine but he didn’t have to take Paige.

“I feel numb and didn’t really get the answers I was hoping for. I’m not any nearer where I feel I’m supposed to be.

“I would have preferred a conclusion of suicide for Garry and unlawful killing for Paige rather than a narrative verdict.

“But with Garry’s family there too I guess he has to see it from both sides.”

Cherie, who was with Bolton for 22 years, also feels there was little said about Paige at the inquest.

She said: “There was nothing really about Paige and how she felt.

“At the end of the day Garry took his own life and that of Paige which he had no right or need to do.

“Paige was cheeky but also shy. But once she got to know you there was no shutting her up!

“I loved her so much and loved buying her things.”

The inquest previously heard how Bolton and Cherie had twins Paige and Ethan in 2010 through IVF treatment. Sadly, Ethan died of a heart defect aged just six months, which devastated Garry and Cherie.

Paige’s ashes have now been laid beside Ethan which makes Cherie’s visits to the graveside even more difficult.

“I find it very hard visiting the grave as Paige really looked after Ethan’s headstone,” Cherie said

“She would clean it every time we went there and would leave toys for Ethan.

“Now she is not there to do it bit, instead, lies next to Ethan.”

Mr. Sprakes stated that he believed Bolton intentionally started the fire. There was no logical explanation why the fire had been accidentally started.

Fire crews had no choice but to enter the house using a saw. They found the victims in the bathtub.

Bolton had locked his front door, which made it difficult for him to enter, the inquest heard. It was also impossible to contact emergency services.

In his narrative conclusion to the August inquest, Mr Sprakes referred to chilling messages Paige sent to her grandmother before her death, saying: “Daddy is scaring me.”

Bolton also had written a note about self-harm that was found by the inquest.

During proceedings in August, Mr Sprakes mentioned text messages Bolton had sent to former partner Cherie, which he decided not to read out but said “amounted to a suicide note”.

The inquest had heard how Bolton’s mental health seemed to have deteriorated, having already suffered from anxiety, low self-esteem and paranoia.

Independent fire investigator Dr Will Hutchinson investigated the blaze and also provided evidence to the inquiry.

It took hours to build, he said.

He indicated that such a fire could produce deadly levels of carbon monoxide in minutes.

The smoke alarm also failed to work, but he couldn’t say for certain if the fire had been set intentionally or accidentally.

However, Humberside Fire and Rescue ServiceRichard Gibson, station manager, believed that the cause was intentional.

He stated that: “I believe the ignition was due to an unspecified naked flame.

“As the seat of the fire was in the centre of the bed, it leads me to believe it was deliberate.”

Mr. Sprakes rendered a narrative verdict.

He said: “On January 25. 2020, Garry Bolton and Paige Bolton died at 26 Wensley Avenue in Hull between approximately 5.30am and 7am due to the effects of inhalation of products of combustion and carbon monoxide poisoning due to the effects of a smouldering fire probably deliberately started that morning.”

For any emergency, the Samaritans can be reached 24/7 by phone or email. Contact them by dialing 116 123 or emailing WebsiteTo find the nearest branch, click here. You matter.

Share this article

Recent posts

Popular categories

Recent comments