Another food product was removed from shelves. One of a number of recalls has affected many items including baby formula and ground meat. A popular salami product was pulled from supermarket shelves and markets after it was discovered to have salmonella contamination. Murray River Smokehouse issued the recall but it doesn’t affect American consumers as it originated from Australia. Health officials have advised consumers to not eat the recalled salami.
Per Food Standards Australia & New ZealandThe recall, which was issued by the region’s government agency and is comparable to the U.S. FDA and USDA, affects several Murray River Smokehouse salamis. This recall affects Murray River Smokehouse salami mild in 180-gram sizes with a Best Before date. “25FEB2023.”Murray River Smokehouse salami pepper in 180-gram sizes is also included in the recall. It has a Best Before Date of 06MAR2023. There are no other products affected. These products could be purchased at Harris Farm Markets and Thyme To Taste, Goldfields Grocers and Milawa Cheese, New South Wales and Victoria.
Murray River Smokehouse Pty Ltd has recalled their Murray River Smokehouse Salami Mild and Murray River Smokehouse Salami Pepper vacuum packs (various best before dates), due to microbial contamination.
— FoodStandardsAusNZ (@FSANZnews) October 13, 2022
The recall was due to “microbial (Salmonella) contamination.”Although it is not clear if any illnesses have been reported in connection to the recall, salmonellosis can be caused by salmonella contamination. This foodborne illness can be quite serious. Salmonellosis symptoms include fever, diarrhea, abdominal cramps and stomach pains. They usually occur within 12 to 24 hours after consumption. Most people will recover in four to seven days. In rare cases, however, the infection may spread to the bloodstream and require hospitalization.
Australian health officials warned consumers not to eat the recalled salami due to the possible health danger. For a full refund, consumers should return the products to their original place of purchase.
This is the latest recall that has hit the Australian market. Earlier in October, Food Standards Australia & New Zealand alerted consumers to a recall of Smith’s Snackfood Company’s Smith’s Crinkle Cut Salt & Vinegar Chips. This recall affects different sizes of bags and was caused by the “potential presence of foreign matter,”It was discovered that the chips bags may contain plastic parts.