The 11-Day Manhunt Comes To an End: What We Know About Alabama Fugitives’ Escape from Capture


The multistate manhunt for a fugitive murder suspect and sheriff’s deputy who helped him escape came to a dramatic end Monday night with a high-speed car chase. 

Vicky White, Casey, and Vicky White were finally arrested in Evansville after being on the run for 11 days.

Vicky White, 56 years old, took her own life after Casey White, 38 surrendered to police. Despite having the same last name, the pair were not related.

“Female is crashed out still inside the vehicle. We could hear her on the line saying she had her finger on the trigger. Female is still armed,”A 911 dispatcher stated.

Casey White claimed Vicky had shot herself in front of marshals, but authorities are still investigating.

“As soon as we got to the vehicle, we got Casey out of the vehicle and he said, ‘Help my wife, she shot herself in the head,’” U.S. U.S. Marshal Martin Keely stated.

On April 29, the fugitives were seen leaving Lauderdale County Detention Center, Florence, Alabama. 

They drove from there to Tennessee, where they ditched the first getaway car, a copper-colored 2007 Ford Edge. A school bus driver saw them on a rural road and spotted the Edge.
The car was towed to a police pound and sat there for almost a week before it was realized that it was the getaway car. Vicky White was found with her radio, handcuffs, and shackles in the car by investigators.

Casey White, a man who was seen on surveillance video at Evansville’s carwash, was seen changing to a gray Cadillac after he left his Ford F-150 pickup truck. It’s unclear where or how those vehicles were obtained. 

According to the manager at the car wash, he alerted police about the sighting on the following day. But it wasn’t until Monday that Marshals Service tracked the Cadillac down to Motel 41 where they were hiding.

After the duo left the motel, the final chase began.

A fleet of marshals and sheriff’s vehicles intercepted them on a highway. The chase ended when a marshal’s vehicle struck their car. 

“Members of the U.S. Task Force basically rammed the vehicle and pushed it into a ditch. And we later found out, had they not done that, the fugitive was going to engage in a shootout with law enforcement,”At a press conference, Vanderburgh County Sheriff Dave Wedding spoke. 

Police found a stash of ammunition and weapons inside the vehicle. They also found $29,000 in cash.