Twelve-year-old boy is killed by Fentanyl overdose. Uncle cleans his drug lab.


New Jersey authorities announced that the uncle who was responsible for the death of a 12-yearold boy who had taken fentanyl in excess has been charged with causing his death.

According to the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office, Troy Nokes, 35 was charged with first-degree aggravated murder and second-degree employing minors in a drug distribution program. 

According to Thursday’s statement, a school nurse gave CPR to the boy after he became unresponsive on Jan. 24, according the prosecutor’s Office. He died in hospital on February 1. His name was not released.

An autopsy performed by Philadelphia’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determined he died from fentanyl intoxication, the prosecutor’s statement said.

Also arrested was Joanna Johnson, who is charged with evidence tampering and hindering the apprehension of Nokes, the statement said. She pleaded guilty to the charges on Friday.

The U.S. arrested both of them. According to the prosecution’s office, both were taken into custody by the U.S. Marshals Service Regional Fugitive Task Force. They are currently held without bail at Camden County Correctional Facility. 

Nokes will make his first court appearance on Tuesday.

Authorities say the boy lived at Nokes’ home where the uncle produced fentanyl. Nokes told the child to clean drug paraphernalia contaminated with fentanyl and witnesses told investigators the boy was not wearing gloves at the time, the prosecutor’s office said.

Nokes has also been charged with first-degree maintaining a controlled dangerous substance production facility, witness tampering, tampering with evidence, hindering apprehension and aggravated assault, among other related charges, the statement said.

The case remains under investigation and anyone with additional information was asked to contact Camden Prosecutor’s Detective Lateasha Jones at 856-225-8656 or Gloucester Township Police Detective Mark Grodzielanek at 856-374-5718.