Wisconsin Bartender Saves Choking Coworker With Imperfect Heimlich Maneuver


A young man was eating a sandwich made of chicken from a Wisconsin restaurant when it fell the wrong way. He started to choke. The man who saved his life is receiving backlash because of the way he helped. 

Ashton Hoffhein was 20 years old when he wrapped his arms around his throat to signify he was choking. Joseph Reinhart, the bartender, quickly reacted. 

“I noticed that he kind of had his hands by his throat for international sign for choking and just kind of without thought, I started performing what I knew as the Heimlich maneuver,”Reinhart stated.

His heroism is making him the subject of criticism because he did not use the right technique to execute the maneuver.

Reinhart wrapped his arms around Hoffein’s chest, much higher than they were supposed to be and lifted him off the ground while squeezing. It worked. The chicken was freed.

Watching in a complete panic at the restaurant in Sun Prairie was Hoffhein’s mom, who also works there.

A coworker dialed 911, and Hoffhein slumped to the floor — overwhelmed, but alive.

“His technique wasn’t perfect, but it did contribute to saving his life,”Inside Edition: Shane Woodall, an expert from Frontline Health, spoke out.

Woodall taught us how to perform the Heimlich maneuver correctly. The video player below allows you to see the demonstration.

Share this article

Recent posts

Popular categories

Recent comments